Sierra Nevada similar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
So yesterday I decided to brew my Sierra Nevada similar kit I got from Morebeer. I was going to buy all the ingredients, but they had the kit for 30 bucks, so why not. All started ok, other than it was storming outside so I had to figure out something for the motorcycle, but a tarp and all was well. I got a bit concerned as my preboil gravity was somewhere in the 1.044 range. My OG was supposed to stand at about 1.052, so I was not sure I was going to hit it. Low and behold, I do my 60 min boil add my hops and grab a sample while my wort is cooling. Damn if I wasn't at 1.052 to 1.054, Hot damn!!!!! One of the first times I hit what the package or recipe said. So, I pitch my Cellular Science Cali dry yeast when I get the wort to about 75 degrees. Put the fermenter in the closet, but wake up this morning thinking, crap, it is cold in here and I forgot to plug in my heater. I put a thermometer in the closet and it is standing at 68 degrees, nice. And the airlock is bubbling away happily. So, I will leave it go for a week or two and check gravity again. I have to dry hop some, then 3 to 5 days it will either go into bottles or my keg. Either way, I am pretty stoked that I finally hit the numbers.

Update, fermentation is moving along well. Lots of activity in the airlock. I am hopeful this one will be a keeper. Not sure if I want to bottle this one or throw it in the keg. Game time decision LOL

Update:
Airlock activity has slowed to almost nothing, so I figured I'd give it a gravity test. Results are:

Gravity 1.008 ABV about 5.75. Taste test is a bit malty, but since it is a Sierra Nevada similar I was expecting that. So now, I will take another reading either Tuesday or Wednesday and plan to dry hop Wednesday morning and keg or bottle either Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.

Overall, not bad. I hit my numbers pretty square and while the ABV is a bit higher, the kit said around 5.5, I am pretty pleased with how this worked out

Back