show your age with a picture of a toy from your childhood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did I miss this thread until now?
My early fascination with cars started with these... I had a bunch of them, but I gave them away in my teens...

hotwheels.jpg

I think I was 8 when I got this for Christmas and it was my favorite toy for a few years. The fan-powered "space ship" was balanced against a counterweight at the other end of the metal rod and pivoted atop the central mast. You controlled engine speed and thrust angle to "lift off", "orbit", "de-orbit" and "land", and it came with fold-up "planetary" matt with landing sites, etc. Coolest toy ever for me back then :)

View attachment 813816

Cheers!

My older brother (now age 55) always used to talk about the Verti-Bird which was his FAVORITE toy as a kid. Basically a helicopter that looks pretty close to what you're showing.

He ended up joining the Marines and was a helicopter pilot for a while, before becoming a flight instructor and now flying commercial in retirement. So a few years ago I bought him a toy called "Chopper Command" which I think was the 1+ decade newer version of the Verti-Bird. Not sure if he ever even took it out of the box, but I think he still appreciated it lol.

There was a company making and selling those for homebrewers years back. In the 90’s? I think the company was called Medicine Rock or something like that. No longer in business.

[edit] I found an old ad in a BYO magazine from 2000

View attachment 813819

Oooh a HAND PUMP! For when you plan to drink 2.5 gallons of beer so fast that you don't need to worry about oxidation ;-)

I had the Verti-Bird. My little brother was afraid of it. One day while I was playing with it he snuck up and threw a phone book on top of it and smashed it flat. It never worked again after that.

Just stumbled on this thread, it's like a walk down memory lane. Tonka trucks, balsa gliders, Mousetrap, Creepy Crawlers, Jarts, Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs, (I preferred tinker toys, they tasted better). Matchbox, Hot Wheels, and HO slot cars, electric football, cap guns, tops....etc. etc.

Here's a few more that I enjoyed...
brandsonsale-store_2271_2254010934.jpg

Johnny West
bdb41b8119b2aaa1f621868df4fd2b04.jpg

Major Matt Mason
matt_mason.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
One of the first toys I can remember...

View attachment 725130View attachment 725130
We had that toy. Until recently when someone would mention weeble-wobbles I thought about these guys. Never had a weeble or a wobble, idk.

Side note, this parking garage configuration kinda reminds me of my office in the city. I'd park in one of the spots on the top deck and always felt like I was a thief stealing the free sunshine! 🌞

I think I was 8 when I got this for Christmas and it was my favorite toy for a few years. The fan-powered "space ship" was balanced against a counterweight at the other end of the metal rod and pivoted atop the central mast. You controlled engine speed and thrust angle to "lift off", "orbit", "de-orbit" and "land", and it came with fold-up "planetary" matt with landing sites, etc. Coolest toy ever for me back then :)

View attachment 813816

Cheers!
My cousin had a toy like this but it was two airplanes. Never got my hands on one but I dreamt about that toy. Heck I'd still love to play with the damn thing.

Edit: aw ****, it was a Vertibird!

Last edited:
it seems whiffle ball technology reached its apex a bazillion years ago.

Heck, I have two of those Wiffle Ball bats bought since my kids started having kids 13 years ago, bats look exactly the same as they did a bazillion years ago :)

And the bat is handy cuz it extends a parent's reach...

Cheers! ("Don't let me catch you ya li'l bastid!" :D)
Reminds of two other toys and their dangers...
I had one these
1677946556076.png
which I thought was fun to throw around in the yard and got caught up high in an oak tree. So I thought I would try to get it down by throwing the wiffle ball bat at it. It of course didn't work and it got dark but I was determined...Lost sight of the angle and while looking up it came down vertically straight and hit me right on the bridge of my nose! Lucky it didn't break!

When my older brothers were acting up, my Mom would tell me to go get my Matchbox tracks. My brothers would tell me to hide them of course but she knew I knew where they were so sorry bros.
1677946774662.png

Last edited:
The first "Best Gift" I ever recieved..I think it was 1977;
IMG_1472.jpeg

...and in the ruins of it's natural habitat...[all toys/tools...since childhood, and even with brewing, the two are synonomous]:
IMG_1473.jpeg

(I say 'ruins' because since spine/CNS/brain injury in 2014, I can no longer make use of this bench, at least on the daily basis I used to :p )

Latest posts

Back