show your age with a picture of a toy from your childhood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3fa9bb29fbe3869c8ad4e043b9ff9641.jpg

Mouse-Trap.jpg

There is a Tonka dump truck on the first page, my brother had one of those. I remember seeing a commercial where an elephant stepped on the truck. As a teen, I was pulling the motor from a car using a come along and a swingset at the end of the driveway. I remembered the commercial, the truck was still around, I put a piece of wood across the bed of the truck, lowered the engine onto said truck and balanced the engine and rolled it into the garage to begin the disassembly of the engine. Once the engine was rebuilt, used the truck again to get the rebuilt engine back to the car. Those toys were built tough.

I had one as well, mine was yellow and kind of a red/orange.

After I had moved out of my parents house, I was back visiting and saw it and took it home with me. I was in my apartment playing with it, did the around the world move, it hit the glass cover thing on the ceiling light and glass came falling down, it was able to jump out of the way and didn't get cut, but it was made of rather thick glass and could have been a problem. Just and a mess of broken glass to clean up.

Had a top like Tom R posted, mine was wood and red in color.

I had one as well, mine was yellow and kind of a red/orange.
After I had moved out of my parents house, I was back visiting and saw it and took it home with me. I was in my apartment playing with it, did the around the world move, it hit the glass cover thing on the ceiling light and glass came falling down, it was able to jump out of the way and didn't get cut, but it was made of rather thick glass and could have been a problem. Just and a mess of broken glass to clean up.
Yeah, Around the World was kind of an outdoor trick.

These da*n things never worked for us. We'd see the cool TV commercials. Get all hopped up thinking we'd be Australians, but they would not return.
I’m Australian and they weren’t as popular as they should’ve been. I’m pretty sure most people had the same experience though, try it for 5 mins then give up when it didn’t come back haha

Pie pans or "Frisbees" where the rage in the USA. There are "Frisbee Golf" leagues, amateur (just for fun) here in the US.

The boomarang fad lasted about 1 week around here. Then came yo-yos. This too was quickly superseded by a replacement. Oh, I remember, the launch into the air (with a sling shot type thing), helicopter down things.

My friend and I each got a Ready Ranger for Christmas one year and thought who the hell we were! Pretty cool gift back then and it even predicted the weather (but it never really did).
1614292282633.png
1614292282633.png

My friends and I used to ride our bikes up to Carvel after dinner and get these baseball helmet sundaes! We would try and collect all of them but some of the teams, I remember, the servers were stingy giving some of them out and we couldn't just pick a team we wanted with some of the servers. Then later on after several visits we found out which servers would let you pick your helmet and it was on after that!
1614292697060.png

1614292932050.png

View attachment 720019

I really want to show the cap powered tomahawk thingy but could not find it. It was a wooden hammer with a feathered plug you remove and put a cap or two in the hole then replace the plug. Slam it on the ground and it shot the plug into the air.

Thanks for posting! I had absolutely forgotten about this item. Aw, the times we had in our youth. But, know what, at least we (nearly any young person) didn't go around actually killing anyone.

Last edited:
View attachment 720019

I really want to show the cap powered tomahawk thingy but could not find it. It was a wooden hammer with a feathered plug you remove and put a cap or two in the hole then replace the plug. Slam it on the ground and it shot the plug into the air.

You could also scrape off some match head powder, screw a 3/8” nut onto a 3/8 bolt to make a cup, then gently screw another one into the nut and throw that down on the ground. DIY !

They fly better with school handouts and homework. Not the first one I learn to make but one of the best hang time fliers if you get wing modified right.

View attachment 720063
That is still to this day the only successful paper airplane I can make. Every time I gain access to a high place I just hafta fold one and let her glide. IMHO, the single best use of a piece of paper since the constitution.

"Sea-Monsters". Oh, yeah, we all envisioned having rule over them. Also, did anyone have any luck with "Sea Monkeys"? Not us.

Or, how about the plastic "Ant Farm" that initially seemed OK until it got knocked over.
Pretty sure I had some sea monkeys that lived for a little bit.

Had the green plastic ant farm - don't remember how that ended either

Back