Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a question for everyone watching this thread. I built a single tier wooden Brew rig, for those of you who have done that, how do you fireproof the Interiors of your burn area?

Jeeze, that's an issue that probably should have been addressed in the design phase :drunk:
Anyway, do you have the room to line them with cement board worst case?
Even better, install comprehensive heat shields with plenty of air space to the wood?

Maybe post some pics so we can see what you're working with...

Cheers!

Jeeze, that's an issue that probably should have been addressed in the design phase :drunk:
Anyway, do you have the room to line them with cement board worst case?
Even better, install comprehensive heat shields with plenty of air space to the wood?

Maybe post some pics so we can see what you're working with...

Cheers!

Well, my initial plan was to use fireproof paint. Around the burner will be an aluminum shield. Between burner and wood there is about 12" of space on each side.

I am looking basically at a preventative measure that might cost slightly less than the 35 for fireproof paint.

Attachments

• IMAG2049.jpg
    IMAG2049.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 443
Agree with day tripper - cement board, look on your local classified for bits left over from someone's bathroom project. Ideally put some washers behind that to create 1/4" of space as well.
I haven't worked with fireproof paint, but I can't imagine that 1/32 of paint will prevent the wood behind it from combusting, maybe the paint wont burn, but you hit a high enough temp, the wood will... good luck!

this thing will forever be a work in progress.

Attachments

• ebrewrig.jpg
    ebrewrig.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 478
This is something I have been working on:yes:

Attachments

• 012BF2DC-3F56-4FCE-BBA3-0290249BC0EF.jpeg
    012BF2DC-3F56-4FCE-BBA3-0290249BC0EF.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 706
  • 0F190968-2C24-4CAE-A32C-F85C5B739879.jpeg
    0F190968-2C24-4CAE-A32C-F85C5B739879.jpeg
    575.8 KB · Views: 670
  • 362DC297-740A-4088-876A-941F0F26851C.jpeg
    362DC297-740A-4088-876A-941F0F26851C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 678
I have weight tested the stand. I may have to put two more casters in the middle for support. I weigh 240 and was jumping on it. 30 Gallons of wort weighs approximately 300lbs.

Agree with day tripper - cement board, look on your local classified for bits left over from someone's bathroom project. Ideally put some washers behind that to create 1/4" of space as well.
I haven't worked with fireproof paint, but I can't imagine that 1/32 of paint will prevent the wood behind it from combusting, maybe the paint wont burn, but you hit a high enough temp, the wood will... good luck!
Thanks so much for the great idea. Seems like the best route to go to really satisfy my needs.

I have weight tested the stand. I may have to put two more casters in the middle for support. I weigh 240 and was jumping on it. 30 Gallons of wort weighs approximately 300lbs.

A bit of cross bracing would allow you to keep the design 'light' and dramatically increase strength - alternatively, putting in two panels similar to the one you already have but perpendicular on the back would also help...

As I type this it reminds me of the Lotus 7 project I wanted to do years ago.. a sports car that relies on a 1" mild steel space frame design...

Cheers!

Decided to share my work in progress. This is a 6 gallon batch brewery that I pieced together quite a while ago. I bought a new house a year ago so have been too busy to do anything with it. I decided to finally revamp it to make things easier on myself on brew day. This is a mess right now because I've been welding and fabricating it all day.

I still have to go buy some stuff at home Depot tomorrow to get the two pumps electrical tied in with a junction box under the table. That way you won't see any wires and both Riptide pumps will have constant power and be controlled by their switches. I'm also going to be welding some barrel hinges to the right side leg(if facing brew stand). I'm fabricating a single mount for the CFC so that I can swing it in when not in use, and then swing it out on brew days.

Last thing I have to fabricate is going to be some sort of swiveling swing mount for the controller. That way I can swing it out away from the brew stand on brew days away from all the liquids. I will be able to swivel the controller to face which way I want. I'm going to be making this so that later down the road I can put a full Electricbrewery controller on it instead to control everything, but still be on the swivel mount.

I'm building this now so I can start upgrading the kettles(hopefully soon) to a 1BBL system keeping everything else the same.

I'll post a few more pics as I progress with the build. Any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

• IMG_20180206_030147-1619x1214.jpg
    IMG_20180206_030147-1619x1214.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 641
Decided to share my work in progress. This is a 6 gallon batch brewery that I pieced together quite a while ago. I bought a new house a year ago so have been too busy to do anything with it. I decided to finally revamp it to make things easier on myself on brew day. This is a mess right now because I've been welding and fabricating it all day.

I still have to go buy some stuff at home Depot tomorrow to get the two pumps electrical tied in with a junction box under the table. That way you won't see any wires and both Riptide pumps will have constant power and be controlled by their switches. I'm also going to be welding some barrel hinges to the right side leg(if facing brew stand). I'm fabricating a single mount for the CFC so that I can swing it in when not in use, and then swing it out on brew days.

Last thing I have to fabricate is going to be some sort of swiveling swing mount for the controller. That way I can swing it out away from the brew stand on brew days away from all the liquids. I will be able to swivel the controller to face which way I want. I'm going to be making this so that later down the road I can put a full Electricbrewery controller on it instead to control everything, but still be on the swivel mount.

I'm building this now so I can start upgrading the kettles(hopefully soon) to a 1BBL system keeping everything else the same.

I'll post a few more pics as I progress with the build. Any questions feel free to ask.
looks good, any details on the rotameter? been dreaming of a pair of those

looks good, any details on the rotameter? been dreaming of a pair of those

Thanks man! I tore my Blichmann Tower Of power apart to use some of the pieces from it. I grabbed the flow meter and drilled a hole in the top of the mash tun for a 1/2" threaded bulkhead. Then put a stainless elbow onto that, then the flowmeter mounted right up. I lost the alarm feature from the TOP but I'm still happy. Might figure out a way down the road to reincorporate it because it was nice having and I already have the parts from the TOP, just need to fabricate something for the electrical and speaker to tie them in.

I'm just about done with my single tier electric brewery with a HERMS setup. Does anyone have a plan for a wood stand for this kind of setup using 20 gallon pots and a 20 gallon SSbrewtech MT? I'm thinking about a 6' x 24" stand with a bottom shelf...

Been working on this for the past few months after brewing on asingle burner for the last few years. It started as some scrap handrail from the mill I work at. I'm still waiting on the mail for some more fittings for the chiller and bottom ends of the pump hoses but it's almost done now.

I love how brewers see things differently - scrap metal and you see a (great looking) stand. I was following my wife around winners the other night, she saw a kitchen cart thing on wheels and I saw a potential stand for the mill I want to build...

I like the swing out table, smart move!

Thanks for the feedback guys! I was sitting at work one day half way through the build when I thought about the folding handles and table, found a little more scrap and pieced it together. I was awfully proud of that thing once it was on the stand and it sure is handy on brewday.

This has taken a bit. But here it is. I am calling it Brew-ce.

The base of this is all made of upcycled wood from a place called "the rebuilding center" in portland. I used hex lag bolts to join the pieces as they were low cost and high strength. I then used hardeeboard for insulation on the two burner areas and sprayed those with high temp paint for aesthetic reasons. A new bg10 (3/8" nipple) on the HLT area and my old Bg12 (1/8" nipple) for the brew kettle.

Several trips to home Depot for black gas pipe (a bit like Tetris, but I did find 1/2" reducing elbows that saved costs) and the appropriate fittings were made. Finally, I have six 450lb casters for weight distribution.

Honestly, building this was an education and I still need to run the lines for my pumps, but I can't wait to fire it up.

Attachments

• IMAG2086.jpg
    IMAG2086.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 341
Last edited:
This is a shot of my rig as it is right now. SWMBO just bought me a Chugger Pump for my birthday so this my become a single tier system very soon.

Edit: After I finished posting the above statement, I found a couple old pics of when I bought the kegs. I got them on Craig's List for $150 I think. Came in the original boxes, never used, with extra plumbing and the original receipt, from 2004 I think...

Attachments

• setup (2).jpg
    setup (2).jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 427
  • kegs (2).jpg
    kegs (2).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 394
  • hardware (2).jpg
    hardware (2).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 404
  • boxes (2).jpg
    boxes (2).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 408
Last edited:
This is a shot of my rig as it is right now. SWMBO just bought me a Chugger Pump for my birthday so this my become a single tier system very soon.

Edit: After I finished posting the above statement, I found a couple old pics of when I bought the kegs. I got them on Craig's List for $150 I think. Came in the original boxes, never used, with extra plumbing and the original receipt, from 2004 I think...

What a nice setup, honestly. All business.

IMG_20180221_182730.jpg
IMG_20180221_182737.jpg
IMG_20180221_182745.jpg
IMG_20180221_182756__01.jpg

Did a water test tonight so finally after 3 yrs of buying and selling and DIYing I'm ready to brew.

I went from a single tier Brutus 10 style propane system made with keggles. Fermenting in buckets and Sankeys to a 1bbl BIAB electric system along with 2 1bbl conicals and a glycol chiller system for fermenting.

That's that Q channel or m channel stuff they use it to build alot of the frame work to the machines at work and to hold up all the conveyer belts I thought of building my stand with but with shipping it was cost prohibitive. Great job.

Back