Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my ghetto stand "slightly" less ghetto by adding some wall paneling I found in the garage attic. Still cost me a grand total of $0...

I'm here to make you all feel much better about your equipment...

Nothing wrong about that at all...nice functional 3 tier...the best thing about $0 invested is you are free to make a change if and when desired. The barley and hops can't see the bling ya know. Nice work!

My very "thrown together" set up now. It will work for the next few months until I get my keggles built, then I will NEED a stand!

9be665a2.jpg

Still have the control box to build and wire...plus testing. But here is my 2.0 brewery, built by hand from the ground up, I even welded together the stand.

brewRig20.jpg

So much nicer than brewery 1.0 that I was useing...

Picture004-2.jpg

Put this together about a year ago and have used it quite a bit. The cart was a freebee and the work surface top was $5 from Herman Miller. I recently added the front panel with propane control valves and piezo ignitor, which I have to say works pretty slick. Someday I hope to add another burner and turn it into a 10 gal rig, but for now this will work just fine.

During vorlauf...
DSC04253.JPG

Notice the little fold out arm to hold the vorlauf container...
DSC04254.JPG

Final runnings
DSC04262.JPG

Yea...my cop friends told me I had a nice looking meth lab there...ugh.
Gotta love cop humor.

Swell, a "meth lab", looking good I like your end keggle stand.
BTW Shane, have you had a chance to stop in at CHI company in town
to find out what Matt has in corny's, kegs as well those stainless
conicals he was to start importing last year?

A sneak peek at my build. Designed a few different approaches in my head and this one triumphed based on my needs. It is a Blichmann-esque principal with a twist. It collapses to a maximum length of no more than 3 feet and fits in the trunk of my TL-S with room to spare. It is lite and can be assembled in a few minutes with a handful of bolts and two wrenches. Burners etc.. should be here Friday. Third keggle not pictured :D Everything used can be purchased at Lowe's. Full write up to come.... Cheers!!!

a0d2594a.jpg

5f4dbf6b.jpg

Will you be securing that top keg some how? It doesn't appear level, and I don't imagine 10 gallons of strike water dumping out on you would be very pleasant.

That could be an optical illusion. The ladder in the background doesn't look level, so it could make the other objects in the picture look unlevel (is that a word?) too.

I'm wondering how strong that center piece is. Will it hold the weight?

Very nice, not the most compact design, but very utilitarian, I bet you'll brew some mighty fine beer on it. I like the control panel.

Will you be securing that top keg some how? It doesn't appear level, and I don't imagine 10 gallons of strike water dumping out on you would be very pleasant.

Yes it will be secured. :cross: I am planning on welding some small uprights on each platform to secure the bottom from sliding and then using straps around the keg to the stand itself. I was in Wal Mart this weekend and found what function like a bunjee(sp) but are thin and wide like a strap. They are adjustable and fit perfectly around the keg and hook into the square tubing.

The stand does sit slightly crooked in the pic but the ladder makes it look way off. The reason it sits crooked is that when I was tacking it all togethar it was flat on the concrete but when I welded the underside of the legs(vertical L channel to the square runners) it threw everything out of whack from the bead line. A little grinding should fix that. I am also planning on putting some form of adjustable leveling pads on the ends of the legs.

Each leg can be unbolted from the square tubing and the square tubing comes apart in three sections and each platform is removable. I need to take a pic of it disassembled. It can easily be assembled, disassembled, and carried by one person. Although it may never be the roaming brew stand, space is a concern in suburbia since my automotive fetish gets the majority of the garage. This will be stored in the "brew room" (spare bed room) next to my kegorator/fermentation chamber. :drunk: Temp controlled chamber that fits 4 carboys and the kegorator side that still holds 8 cornys. Yet another work in progress..... :rockin:
4455f09b.jpg

I just went through this entire thread at work, and I've got to say that it's interesting to see such a diverse range of equipment being incorporated here. I am brewing 5 Gal AG batches, using a plastic fermenter as an HLT, and a 10 gallon cooler as a mash tun... I am a fit guy, but lugging around huge pots of scalding hot water is disheartening indeed. I would love to built one of these brew rigs, but I am just starting to scratch the surface in terms of HERMS, RIMS, and whatever else there is to learn. I would love to get beyond using my refrigerator and a table chair to create a makeshift 3 tier brewery, there is some real inspiration in here, if only I had some skills in welding.

What is the mecanno looking stuff I have seen in here? It looks like it is pre-rigged with holes for simple fabrication. Is this stuff cost effective/reliable? Are there any other examples of this stuff being used for brew rigs?

By the way, that green beast above is a real 'beaut.

I think i win for smallest rig. It's all electric and uses the RIMS as an instant water heater for fly sparging. Build thread here.

WhatsThisDo.JPG

I think that I currently have the smallest rig. My 2.5 gallon rig has a 20"x14" footprint (I could cut the legs a bit smaller as well) with brutus 20 all electric goodness. Yours looks like a nice rig, though. Well done.

I just saw your rig in the electrical forums. Nice, you win! :D

I think i win for smallest rig.
The smallest brewer:D
I think that I currently have the smallest rig.

jfkriege I don't think so:D
I am currently designing, testing the smallest and cheapest three vessel system.
No pumps all gravity when completed.

Hot water supply video below;)

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

The smallest brewer:D

jfkriege I don't think so:D
I am currently designing, testing the smallest and cheapest three vessel system.
No pumps all gravity when completed.

Hot water supply;)

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I've thought about trying to use a french press as a MLT and a modded out coffee mug warmer plate as a kettle to make a 1 pint desktop system. That way you could brew at work. I'm not sure how the man would feel about it though.

This sounds like a good competition. The best beer brewed from an all grain brewery under 1 gallon in volume.

What is the mecanno looking stuff I have seen in here? It looks like it is pre-rigged with holes for simple fabrication. Is this stuff cost effective/reliable? Are there any other examples of this stuff being used for brew rigs?

Moxie - The product I used on mine is called "Metal Lumber" by Republic Storage. My rig is very stable as-is but I will be adding some additional bracing for overkill. I am slightly concerned that with a full keggle and plenty of heat, some warping could occur. I will report back after the first full test. I think from a time perspective, this option is quite good compared to welding up a frame. It really comes down to wether you have the time, skill, equipment etc. to weld a frame.

FYI...You might want to check the connections of your temperature probes prior to your next batch. It looks as if your assistant may have made some undesirable adjustments. :p

Agreed. This newly hired assistant is not working out as planned. When I said "go check the boil kettle thermocouple and make sure it's secure", he simply said "BOON!", and proceeded tug the 'balloon' downward. He's been with me for a year but I had to let him go. Good help is hard to find these days.....

Here's my single tier stand. made out of adjustable shelving 24"x24"x60" which sits on top of a dolly. A no weld design for less than $70.00! Propane tanks are stored on sub shelving on the right.

-2.jpg

Brewstand.jpg

Almost done with my wooden stand.

standf.jpg

Just need to add a shelf for the propane tank. Went way over budget with the bolts, but will make it easier to move.

Back