Show us your cider in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My big time cherry - via S04.

Cheers![emoji111]
IMG_20181121_152013_268.jpeg

Looks great! What's the makeup & yeast profile?

20181122_200548.jpeg
20181122_200554.jpeg

I used 100% Apple Cider from store, light brown sugar, Karo light corn syrup, enzyme and nutrents, with wlp775 yeast. OG 1.080, FG 1.002. In secondary added bunch cinnamon sticks. Bottled 106 oz hard cider, 12 oz frozen apple juice concentrate, and 10 oz Jack Daniel's Tennesse Fire.

Did you use cherry fruit, juice or concentrate? In primary or after finished?
100% Tart Cherry juice concentrate from brownwoodacres.com - post fermentation. 1 - 1.5oz per gal...depending on how cherry I want it [emoji111]

View attachment 599098View attachment 599099

I used 100% Apple Cider from store, light brown sugar, Karo light corn syrup, enzyme and nutrents, with wlp775 yeast. OG 1.080, FG 1.002. In secondary added bunch cinnamon sticks. Bottled 106 oz hard cider, 12 oz frozen apple juice concentrate, and 10 oz Jack Daniel's Tennesse Fire.
Sounds tasty! Dig ur labels too [emoji111]

Looking to score some all natural hot cinnamon flavoring to add for [emoji91]

Thanksgiving blueberry cin - via S04. Like a liquid blueberry pie [emoji111]

5% ABV using juice from Blake's Orchard
1124181138a.jpeg

I just racked my first cider into secondary last night. It may not be the most exciting photo, but I am certainly excited! I started with 6 gallons of pasturized, preservative-free cider, pectic enzyme, and Lalvin D47. I'm planning on bulk-aging this for at least a few weeks after secondary is done before I do much else with it.

NxYyGqm.jpg

IMG_20181125_171614.jpg

My red currant cider. Used apples off my tree. I think there called ginger crisp. Fermented 6 gallons with us-05 yeast at sg 1.06, fg was .998. Used 1 quart of red currant syrup for 2 gallons of cider. It is a little dry, but it reminds me flavor wise of a wine cooler.

FAJC - SO4 Yeast 1.060 OG to 1.004 FG with 4 pounds of Blackberries in secondary (5 Gallon batch) clarified via cold crash and KC Super Kleer. Three weeks Pitch to keg and pretty darned good after a week in the keg. Will only get better in a few months. (Assuming it lasts that long.)

20190202_144428-jpeg.610603

FAJC - SO4 Yeast 1.060 OG to 1.004 FG with 4 pounds of Blackberries in secondary (5 Gallon batch) clarified via cold crash and KC Super Kleer. Three weeks Pitch to keg and pretty darned good after a week in the keg. Will only get better in a few months. (Assuming it lasts that long.)

20190202_144428-jpeg.610603
I need to try this. You fermented your cider first down to 1.004 then added the blackberries, did you stabilize first before adding or did you go for carbonated cider?

If I add them I always add fruit or spices after primary is done <1.010. Usually 7 - 10 days for primary and another 7 - 10 for secondary. I dont stabilize. Im sensative to the "ates" and react when near 50 ppm. As such i must drive it close to completion with a bit of fermaid-O up front. I clarify by cold crashing and using KC Super Kleer then go to a keg to carbonate. Using a keg then i do not have to worry about over carbing in the bottle if there are enough residual sugars from the fruit or remaining Apple Juice. Its a pretty simple recipe and process with techniques that give me a cider i really like. For the base cider nothing but FAJC to the target OG SO4 yeast (trying SO5 on the next one) yeast are started with some fermax good spring water and a teaspoon of fermaid-O added to the must when yeast are pitched and fermented at 62 to 64. Just dump it in aerate the heck out of it and dont touch it again until checking the SG in 7 days to see if its done. No SNA stirring or CO2 release required but i guess wouldnt really hurt if done for the first few days. But IMO certainly not needed and i prefer not to mess with it too much.

View media item 70034View media item 70033 My first attempt at ciders. Both are 100% juice perservative free cheepo special. Both pitched with cider yeast, lighter one only yeast was added, darker one is half or so pound pure dark sugar. They've been bubbling away for 3 days now. We'll see how it turns out

Drew a sample from both today. They are both delightful! I'll bottle and pasteurize Monday, let them sit for a few days and then into the fridge. They're not gonna last long though, that's for sure!

Kegging day - on the left sweetened with 1 gal. freeze concentrated. In the middle Saison sweetened with 1/2 gal. freeze concentrated. On the right unsweetened transferred to a bourbon barrel.
View attachment 612254

Kegging day - on the left sweetened with 1 gal. freeze concentrated. In the middle Saison sweetened with 1/2 gal. freeze concentrated. On the right unsweetened transferred to a bourbon barrel.
View attachment 612254

Looks great! Dig the 350ml bottle [emoji111]

Last edited:
That little plastic one. I gotta get the cork wet (with sanitizer) and hit the plunger with a rubber mallet.

I'm pretty much a newb with all of this and these are my first two ciders. First one I call blueberry breakfast cider. Used apple juice, brown sugar, 100% blueberry juice and Lalvin KIV1116. Fermented for 10 days...sweetened with pure maple syrup and more blueberry juice and cold crashed.

Second one is really a pretty color lol. Just used apple juice, brown sugar, cinnamon stick and sweetened with honey after fermention.

Also have a cherry one going right now as well...while waiting for my meads to get done. Really wish I'd have started doing this long ago. This place is a great resource too!

Attachments

• IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 54
I have a question. I am getting the left over strawberry juice from packages of frozen strawberries. I did already add some to a cider I had brewing but would like to add some more at the end for sweetening and flavor. How would one go about clearing the juice? I ran it through 2 strainers so far and removed a lot. Added some pectic enzyme, still real hazy. I’m thinking of adding some sorbate, then blend with the cider, use a fining, sound like that would work? Thanks

Attachments

• DE3CA254-F174-4A93-A11F-DC66AD4407E3.jpeg
    DE3CA254-F174-4A93-A11F-DC66AD4407E3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
A test glass of blended, then strained ..... tastes great! But I like a clearer cider.

Attachments

• D177980E-24DC-4067-BB6D-497B982D00F5.jpeg
    D177980E-24DC-4067-BB6D-497B982D00F5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
A test glass of blended, then strained ..... tastes great! But I like a clearer cider.

I'm new to this but from my experience you'll just have to let it set and then transfer again. I think if you add some bentonite when you start the fermentation process that'll help too.

I just started that White Labs Funky Cider Yeast blend using juice from Beardsley’s last pressing of 2018. It was in the deep freeze til Feb.

I'm new to this but from my experience you'll just have to let it set and then transfer again. I think if you add some bentonite when you start the fermentation process that'll help too.
I used the 2 part Super Kleer after stabilizing, worked like a champ! I’m very happy with this can’t wait to get more. Might try carbing it next time, but it’s nice still too.

Attachments

• EE7BC143-347A-48EC-9437-F696D5690A27.jpeg
    EE7BC143-347A-48EC-9437-F696D5690A27.jpeg
    866.2 KB · Views: 50
Outside sipping my latest - pomegranate cider done using D47 [emoji111] Bring on spring [emoji2]

0312191558a-1195x2124.jpeg

Does that side of your yard always have snow on it? And the cider looks good.
Cuz of the trees....it melts from North to south [emoji12] Finally getting rid of the white stuff with a few day warm up & rain. Prefer sipping my ciders outside in the warm sunshine [emoji111]

My first time doing cider. Kept it simple, while trying something different. Just put 5 gallons of 100% apple Juice over the spent trub from a Red Ale I bottled. Simply poured juice over trub and it mixed up nice. No sugar added. A 5-6% ABV will do me. Plan to Carb and bottle. Should be nice for the spring/summer.

Stuff was active in within hours, and going strong.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back