Show us your cider in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ale yeast cider.

OG is supposed to read 1.046 lol

20161126_150841.jpg

Two batches going this year. They were started 4 days apart from each other (Oct 20 & Oct 24). The one on the right is mostly cleared, the one on the left is very cloudy. The only difference is the variety of sweet apple used as the base. Both had peptic enzyme added an hour before the yeast. It will be interesting to see if the second batch clears.

Cider carboys 2016.jpg

Christmas Cider - S04 Yeast OG 1.065 - FG 1.008 - Kegged and tastes good young (Few Weeks) will be great in a few months.

What did you use to clear it and what sugar did you add to boost its OG?

I clarify by being very careful when racking, then cold crash for a week and rack again, then KC Super Kleer and rack again. Almost always comes out this clear occasionally have to add Pectic Enzyme depending upon the apple juice used and or if i add fruit.

Added half a dozen cans of FAJC and just a bit of Dark Brown Sugar to boost the gravity. I prefer the FAJC because it brings the sugar and additional apple flavor.

Happy New Year!!!

My 2016 harvest is processed and slowly fermenting until Spring. Time to move all of it to my cave where the temp will hover around 45 deg for the next few months.

Some of my apples...

a_Apples.jpg

Putting the squeeze on..

a_Press.jpg

Spontaneous fermentation..

a_Buckets.jpg

My microbial army on the march..

a_jugs.jpg

Hi Scrumpy.

Where did you get those extra tall milk crates with the corner sections to cradle the carboys?

Thanks

William

Culligan Water trucks are loaded up with them, that's how they transport the large plastic jugs. I'm guessing others as well. Might be able to track some down on your local craigslist?

I like the idea a lot more than the carboy neck handle I currently have!

I've only been making Cider for about 2 months but while I'm here, might as well contribute:

I started my first batch on 11/18/2016 using 5 gallons of fresh-pressed cider from a local orchard with a mixed O.G. of 1.050. Used Red Star champagne yeast and 2.5ish tsp of yeast nutrient, and nothing else. I wanted to start with a simple, dry cider and go from there. I racked it to secondary on 1/1/2017 and the measured gravity was about .996 - it tasted pretty good too!:
YzsENnz.jpg

After cleaning and sanitizing the fermenting bucket, I started a new batch on 1/2/2017. I used organic apple juice from Aldi this time around but did everything else the same to see what difference the different must makes. The mixed O.G. of the juice was only 1.046, so if nothing else the ABV will be a differentiator. It's got a strong ferment going on already:
s2hLYXx.jpg

And both batches together (batch 1 is temporarily upstairs to be a bit warmer, I'm trying to get the sugar in the juice I used to top off the secondary to ferment out):
KfUo2Yr.jpg

Last edited:
I got my crates when I bought used carboys from spring water companies. Here are two manufacturers based on their name on the crates. I have two other types without the manufacturer's ID. I would like to get crates for my 3 gal carboys so if anyone has any luck contacting these guys let us know. Could be we can buy in bulk if enough of us want them.

Heavy duty double walled crate (my favorite)

Ask Plastics
9750 Ashton Rd
Philadelphia

Light weight single walled crate

Reid Valve Co
133 E. Maple Ave.
Monrovia, CA

My most recent cider/apple wine besides whats in the carboy now ( a citra hopped and aged on bourbon oak )
this is my 12 % Apple Cider/Wine made with brown sugar ....had a "funk" to it

brownapplecider.jpg

Farmhouse cider fermented with Brett B. Complex barnyard funk in the nose with a light tartness. I'm really happy with this one, but next time I think I'll add some maltodextrin for more acidity and use a wider range of bugs. Cheers!

Lovely-looking cider you got there!! :mug:

How long did brett take to ferment it out?

Lovely-looking cider you got there!! :mug:

How long did brett take to ferment it out?

I actually did a co-pitch of Saison yeast and Brett B. It was 3 gallons fermented in a Better Bottle that I let sit for about 3 months, then bottle conditioned for a month before I opened that one to try.

Right now the Brett is noticeable, kind of like fallen apples that have sat for a few days and browned in a hay field. This is what I was going for, and I think it worked well.

Brett tends to develop well under pressurized conditions, so it should definitely continue to improve with age. That said, it's already my favorite cider I've made so far!

Did you pitch the Brett with the Saison yeast or later? If later how much later or at what S.G.? P.S. Looks great!

I pitched both the Saison yeast and the Brett at the same time to do the primary. The idea was that making the Brett compete for the simple sugars would stress it, giving more of its characteristic flavors.

I personally like sours, so the next time I make a cider, I'm considering adding some maltodextrin, then pitching a blend of Saison yeast, Brett, Lacto, and Pedio. This should yield a cider with the character of a Lambic.

No additional sugars were added to this one, so the SG was 1.050 and FG was 0.990.

P.S. Tastes great too!

Productive weekend. 6 gallons of Traditional Dry Cider, one gallon of Mango Peach Cider, one gallon of Honeycrisp Cider, 2.5 gallons of finished Cherry Cider racked on to another half gallon of honeycrisp juice, and 3 gallons of Traditional Dry Cider, made with proprietary yeast a homebrew club member isolated, appropriately named "Juicy Fruit." All fermenting with 71b (except for Juicy Fruit) at a quite cool 55 degrees in the basement. Got a few more fermenters on deck, but I think I'm actually going to do secondaries for a couple of them so I have to fight the urge to fill those too.

IMG_5278.JPG

This is what my 2017 cider looks like. This tree was planted around 1885 and despite its rotten trunk and branches, it produced over 300 lbs in 2015. We were in drought in 2016 so all the apples fell off before they ripened. This year looks good and it might yield enough for 20-30 gallons of cider.

blossoms.jpg

If I don't get enough pollinators in the next week, all those blossoms will be like flowers at a funeral.

polinator.jpg

Latest posts

Back