Should light beer be lagered?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidaddytn

Reaction score
In addition to several heavier beers (IPA, nut brown) I've made, I have made 2 5 gallon batches of light ales and both have had slight fruity ester tastes... I'm now wondering how to refine these and if light batches do better if lagered? Most ingredient kits for light beer I have seen are for Ale, but I wonder if colder fermentation could make a better end result? I do like heavy beer, but I also like lighter beer sometimes...

Heavy and light has nothing to do with lager vs. ale. I've seen heavy beers in lager form and the opposite for ale form. It all has to do with what yeast you're using.

Agree with the above, but would note that with a light ale I strive to ferment in the lower part of the temperature range for whatever yeast I am using and give it a good long cold conditioning. Having said that, the type of yeast you choose can obviously make a major difference to flavour.

I think the OP's question is "Should I be handling my pale ales differently than my darker ales?" and for my part, the answer is that there may be some benefit to doing so.

Thanks for the replies! So far, I have always used dry yeast, but will upgrade to the best recommended liquid option for my next light batch. This is much easier than climate control if it can improve the taste...

not so much liquid verus dry. if its an ale yeast, try to keep it under 68F to minimize fruit flavors....

dry yeast can make a excellent a psuedo lager....us05 or notty in the 60s

Cream ale blend(liquid) can make a excellent lager like beer also around 60-65F

the dry lager yeast is also a good yeast if you pitch cold and can maintain the temperature range...i think its s33?

Thanks for the replies! So far, I have always used dry yeast, but will upgrade to the best recommended liquid option for my next light batch. This is much easier than climate control if it can improve the taste...

Dry or liquid yeast doesn't matter. Climate control is crucial for either type. Some yeast strains are more forgiving of high temperatures, but you'll get fruity flavors (esters) with just about any ale yeast strain over 70 degrees.

I ferment most of my ales at 64-66 degrees, especially if I want a "clean" taste.

Dry or liquid yeast doesn't matter. Climate control is crucial for either type. Some yeast strains are more forgiving of high temperatures, but you'll get fruity flavors (esters) with just about any ale yeast strain over 70 degrees.

I ferment most of my ales at 64-66 degrees, especially if I want a "clean" taste.

Agreed. If I were to go back and do things differently, the first upgrades I would have made to my brew setup would have been a wort chiller and a fermentation chamber. Your beer will improve 10 fold just with these two additions.

I'm pretty sure that this batch of light beer was around 72... :-( I guess I need to figure out a way to keep it colder... Light beer doesn't have as much flavor, so it fares worse than say an IPA when fermented in the low 70's.... does this sound right? :drunk:

I just drank another one of my light beers and am about to swear off making another batch of light again! it is awful... I am hoping to give away the rest of this batch away to whoever will drink it.... or just dump it... :(

I just drank another one of my light beers and am about to swear off making another batch of light again! it is awful... I am hoping to give away the rest of this batch away to whoever will drink it.... or just dump it... :(

It's been said that the hardest type of beer to clone is light BMC style beer, just because there is so little of anything in it other than water. The slightest off flavor will be be extremely noticeable because there is almost no malt or hop flavor to cover it up.

I'd stay away from the light recipe's until you can get a fermentation chamber built, temperature control is key! I closed in the underside of my workbench, insulated it with 2 inches of the pink foam you can get at Home Depot, and put an old window AC unit I picked up off CL for cheap in it. With a Johnson digital controller it makes a great temp control chamber. I have an oktoberfest in it right now sitting at a steady 53 degrees in my garage!

Back