Should I dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1981

Reaction score
I brewed a IPA last week and I'm not sure if I should dry hop or not. It was an extract batch using 6.6 lbs. LME and 1 lbs. DME. The hops were 1 oz. magnum at 60, and 3 oz. Citra 1/2 oz 20 min. 1/2 oz 15 min. 1/2 10 min. 1/2 5 min. 1 oz. whirlpool. The Citra hops were 14.1 AA. If I dry hopped with 2 oz. of Amarillo is this beer going to be too hoppy? I like hops but this is my first IPA all my other beers have been on the malty side.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I prefer dry hopped IPAs and APAs.
But, if you have the option you could turn this into an experiment to see what you prefer and to see the differences side by side. If you have a 3 gallon carboy you could dry hop one half of the batch and not dry hop the other.

I definitely would. Dry hopping seems to me to be where you really get that floral nose that the hops have to offer. In non-rayhopped beers you can still taste the hops, get the bitterness, but it just doesn't sit in your nose like a dry hopped beer does. I feel like this gives you a lot of the raw character of the hops you chose to use.

Well.. I suppose I'm going to dry hop it. I already have the Amarillo anyway. The reason I asked is because this is the most hops I've put in a beer so far. I personally love ipa's, 90 min. And Burton Baton practically have a designated spot in my fridge. I just don't want it to be too overwhelming for others. But if that's the case more beer for me I suppose.

I brewed a IPA last week and I'm not sure if I should dry hop or not. It was an extract batch using 6.6 lbs. LME and 1 lbs. DME. The hops were 1 oz. magnum at 60, and 3 oz. Citra 1/2 oz 20 min. 1/2 oz 15 min. 1/2 10 min. 1/2 5 min. 1 oz. whirlpool. The Citra hops were 14.1 AA. If I dry hopped with 2 oz. of Amarillo is this beer going to be too hoppy? I like hops but this is my first IPA all my other beers have been on the malty side.

1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it.gif

I brewed a IPA last week and I'm not sure if I should dry hop or not.

[subject]Should I dry hop?[/subject]

What kind of question is that? Should you continue to breathe? Should you have a beer tonight? Should you avoid showing up for dinner at the house of Hannibal Lector?

I knew I would catch a little flak for that question, and it's all good with me. Just wanted the opinion of people with more experience.

The dry hopping will not add to the bitterness, adds aroma only. Dry hop away! I usually dry hop with 3oz for 4-5 days for an ipa.

Please explain

Dry hopping adds the perception of bitterness to a beer so that a dry hopped beer seems more bitter than the non dry hopped version. It is not adding IBUs since the oils from dry hops are not isomerized, but they do add flavor components that make it seem more bitter. In the end it doesn't really matter if it actually IS an IBU as long as it tastes like one. I think that is what he meant.

I think that is what he meant.

Basically, yes. Isomerized alpha acids are not the only bittering compounds in the world. Dry hopping adds no IBUs, but it can often make the beer more bitter.

And if a beer tastes more bitter, is it more bitter? I'm inclined to think so, barring unusual circumstances. I guess this raises the ultimate philosophical question - what does it mean for beer to be bitter?

Back