Should I bother bottling this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

html034

Reaction score
So I brewed a beer back in may 2009, and I ended up not being able to do anything with it until now. It has been sitting in the plastic bucket for that entire time, and the airlock dried out ages ago. I opened the bucket yesterday, and didn't smell anything resembling anything rotten, so I took that as a good sign, and I know the mantra here is always, "try it, because why not", but honestly, what would you guys do with this beer?

I'd taste it....and if it tasted ok, and not infected I would bottle it. It could be the best beer you even made. It really is going to depend on the beer.......I wouldn't waste it.

+1 to what Revvy said. If it doesn't taste bad, bottle it up. If it was a bigger beer, then the odds are even better it'll be good or even great. What kind of beer was it?

Others can chime in to confirm or tell me I'm full of crap but you might want to consider adding a little fresh yeast along with your priming sugar when you bottle this.

Yeah, it was an APA, so perhaps not the best beer to leave for a year and a half, but you're right, I should give it a taste before making any judgment, although I seriously doubt that it will be my best beer ever.

Might even want to dry hop it a little before bottling. I'm sure it has no hop aroma left at this point.

Just adding to the comments. Heck yeah bottle it up! The airlock shouldn't be a problem, as long as the bucket wasn't disturbed, CO2 is heavier then air so with nothing to force the air exchange, the fresh CO2 from the yeast will have kept it from oxidizing.
That is impressive your fermenter made it that long, wow.

Might even want to dry hop it a little before bottling. I'm sure it has no hop aroma left at this point.

This was what I was thinking too...it'll freshen it up a bit. Have you tasted it yet? I wouldn't be surprised if you had a little oxidization, but sometimes that can be a pleasant flavor.

Certainly no downside to pitching a little bit of fresh dry yeast to make sure you can bottle condition properly...

Nothing really to lose by trying!

I'd taste it first, and if it tasted OK then probably dry hop and bottle, adding fresh yeast (dry would be my preference) to ensure carbonation.

Just adding to the comments. Heck yeah bottle it up! The airlock shouldn't be a problem, as long as the bucket wasn't disturbed, CO2 is heavier then air so with nothing to force the air exchange, the fresh CO2 from the yeast will have kept it from oxidizing.
That is impressive your fermenter made it that long, wow.

i'd disagree, i'd think the air in the fermentor is the same as the stuff outside, not saying its going to be a problem, but the CO2 blanket should be long since exchanged. But DEF bottle.

What about racking onto fresh yeast and maybe a little DME and hops? Definitely don't want to waste it though, could be the best beer ever!

Back