Setting up a yeast lab?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@McMullan - I appreciate all of your info on this thread. I wanted to ask you if you had an opinion on isotonic storage vs just yeast/wort in small vials (your method)? They are very close together, with one using distilled water + a little sodium. Thanks in advance.

The spent growth medium the yeast are already in is probably better, in terms of what the cells are conditioned to and availability of nutrients. Distilled water works well for some groups of multicellular fungi, but not that great for yeast cells.

These ones are straight from a White Labs’ WLP007 pack. ‘Outsourcing’ the lab work, making it incredibly simple. They know what they’re doing. Or make a nice clean starter with your strain(s) of choice and store the same way. The cryovial caps are screwed on tight. They can handle a little pressure, but I haven’t noticed any building up. I recommend just pitching one vial in a 50-100ml first step starter, for simplicity, but I actually just use a loop’s worth to inoculate 10ml sterile wort then step up to 100ml, 500ml, for a half batch, or step up again to 2.5L for a whole (5G) batch. Half batch then repitch is best, if you have time to brew another batch soon enough.
More to guys in the U.S., I would think - bit seeing a lot of unknown makes on Amazon, or in bulk way beyond enough for 20 lifetimes on this level. Anyone in the U.S. do this, and what's your source?

I am going to give this method a try. I ordered these from Amazon - Amazon.com

I already ran them through the pressure cooker and they seemed fine. A couple lost their little sealing ring, but that is probably not that big of a deal. For $9 it is pretty cheap to give it a go.

I am going to give this method a try. I ordered these from Amazon - Amazon.com

I already ran them through the pressure cooker and they seemed fine. A couple lost their little sealing ring, but that is probably not that big of a deal. For $9 it is pretty cheap to give it a go.
Funny, I saw them and took a pass because they weren't listed as sterile. Wouldn't have thought they're autoclavable because they're PP. I see the temp rating is for 356F? Wow. Thanks.

That's minus 356F (-180C). As in the vapor phase of a liquid nitrogen freezer. They're cryo-vials after all.
Hahahahah - OMG, I'm such an idiot. I wasn't even thinking....thought if they're rated to 356F, they could easily withstand 15 psi/250F. Which begs the question again - Bassman, how have you not ended up with a big puddle?

Really, I'm looking for sterile cryovials, in the limited quantities, for now.

My yeast lab is located on kitchen table.

https://www.homebrewnotes.com/making-a-frozen-stock-yeast-bank/
https://suigenerisbrewing.com/index.php/2015/11/28/easy-home-yeast-banking-and-a-video/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/maintaining-a-healthy-yeast-bank-long-term.678997/
1705063442915.png

Regardless of McMullens opinion, freezing 5mL yeast in 10 or 15 mL vials and building up starters from that does work pretty well for a ton of people. If you’re worried about mutations you can pitch half the vial so about 2 to 3 mL of yeast in a smaller weaker starter and build it up from that. It’s not much more work then over building a starter and putting the extra in the refrigerator. If you want to get more fancy, a centrifuge is only 50 or $60 nowadays.

Regardless of McMullens opinion, freezing 5mL yeast in 10 or 15 mL vials and building up starters from that does work pretty well for a ton of people. If you’re worried about mutations you can pitch half the vial so about 2 to 3 mL of yeast in a smaller weaker starter and build it up from that. It’s not much more work then over building a starter and putting the extra in the refrigerator. If you want to get more fancy, a centrifuge is only 50 or $60 nowadays.
Not sure how they helps, in any respect, but whatever rocks your boat. I ain’t in it.

Back