Separation in new pitched wort and clumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wil Prim

Beer Breath
Reaction score
Hello all, I just attempted my first BIAB all grain batch and shortly after I pitched my yeast I came back and saw that there is something weird going on. I posted a photo because I don’t know how to explain this.

What is this?

Attachments

• C2562A44-65F5-4E2A-8FFA-519D6030389D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 169
Ooh, nice cold break! Sometimes the cold break material will clump up like that and sort of float around. There's nothing wrong with your beer and if you had used a bucket fermenter you probably would never have noticed that and gotten the same beer.

It will all settle out on the bottom after fermentation ends, with the yeast. You then rack the clear beer off the top into a bottling bucket or keg.

Just in case: Do not use secondaries. Leave the beer where it is until ready to package.

That’s a lot of headspace, don’t open the fermenter once finished until you’re ready to package.

Interesting, so okay that is good to know! I just tried out my robobrew and had some issues with the straining, long story short it made the mash process and getting the strained wort into the kettle and back into the robobrew a hassle. Also, after boil I chilled pretty quickly to 70 F (like 15-20 minutes) when I used the ball valve on the brew machine to transfer into the fermented I had to tilt to get the last of the liquid. This liquid was super dark so I stopped. The whole beer ended up being way darker than I expected... I used 7 pounds of German Pilsner and 1.5 lbs of 10 L crystal. Any idea what could have caused this?

One more question. My specific gravity after pouring into my fermenter was 1.056 but I had to add water from 3.25 gallons to 4 gallons. How do I calculate my new gravity?

So it has been a month and the beer tastes great! I just legged it but then took a gravity reading, it says it is at 1.025... my OG was 1.046 (calculating in the dilution of my .75 gallons of water). This ends up at being a 2.75 ABV. I do think there were a ton of infermentable sugars due to a high mash. The high mash temp was due to having no draining and the mash basically getting smashed in together in my robobrew. Does this make sense?? The beer does taste good though!

Back