Separating acetic acid (vinegar) from water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatewood

Reaction score
There are processes described on the web on how to do this, but I wanted to know from your experience. Has anyone tried this and been successful?

What would be the rationale for doing this? Typically vinegar is about 5 or 6.% acid (.5 or .6 g/Liter). Why would you be removing water from any vinegar you made if you made it from wine or beer?

Sure.. neutralize the vinegar with sodium carbonate then boil to dryness. Combine with H2SO4 and distill. Lots of work, easier to buy acetic acid.

Sure.. neutralize the vinegar with sodium carbonate then boil to dryness. Combine with H2SO4 and distill. Lots of work, easier to buy acetic acid.

hmmm i see, thanks.

Another question, you know if it possible to make vinegar with a far higher concentration of acetic acid? Say 50%?

It's said that freeze concentrating will get you to 58% but again
You know what stops mother of vinegar from creating high concentrations of acetic acid? Does it poison itself with its own waste, similar to yeast in alcohol?
I stress that acetic acid, even reagent grade then dilution, has got to be less of a pain in the ass as making it yourself.

https://www.ebay.com/i/352650826923...MIy7vhiqXp5wIVicJkCh0tNg1WEAkYByABEgInUPD_BwE

I live pretty goddamn far away from civilization :confused:, so that's why I seek and try to make the most out of what I have at hand... thanks for your concern anyhow
:ban:

Last edited:
but have the internet?

Probably. My inlaws in the Philippines don't get delivery, (When we mail them stuff, we actually mail it to a relative in the city who drops it off when they visit.) but they do get phone service. Undeveloped nations have found that putting up cell towers is actually a pretty cheap way to get everybody in contact.

Probably. My inlaws in the Philippines don't get delivery, (When we mail them stuff, we actually mail it to a relative in the city who drops it off when they visit.) but they do get phone service. Undeveloped nations have found that putting up cell towers is actually a pretty cheap way to get everybody in contact.

Yes, thats exactly right. But thats besides the point.

It's said that freeze concentrating will get you to 58% but again I stress that acetic acid, even reagent grade then dilution, has got to be less of a pain in the ass as making it yourself.

https://www.ebay.com/i/352650826923...MIy7vhiqXp5wIVicJkCh0tNg1WEAkYByABEgInUPD_BwE

One more thing you guys... we drifted from my question and didn't get an answer:

Any idea what is the highest concentration I can produce with acetobacter before they poison themselves with their own acetic acid?

Any idea what is the highest concentration I can produce with acetobacter before they poison themselves with their own acetic acid?

i'd have to google it, but yeast can only ferment to about 14% ethanol.....so if you can't buy glacial acetic, i doubt you can get stronger alcohol.....and i'm also not sure how much ethanol acetobacter can handle, so you might have to add it in doses....

quote from wikpedia :

Nowadays, most vinegar is made in submerged tank culture, first described in 1949 by Otto Hromatka and Heinrich Ebner.[45] In this method, alcohol is fermented to vinegar in a continuously stirred tank, and oxygen is supplied by bubbling air through the solution. Using modern applications of this method, vinegar of 15% acetic acid can be prepared in only 24 hours in batch process, even 20% in 60-hour fed-batch process.[43]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid

18-20% alcohol tolerance is not uncommon depending on the strain. Some can go higher with proper care.
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/product-details/lalvin-ec-1118/

yea, yea, i just was talking about fermenting apple juice fast...you know that...and the best turbo yeast once washed from it's steroids, best i could get is 16%.....

just like you can tell bodybuilders on steroids if their bigger then 'normal'.....and i guess 'steroids' are proper care.....i've tried getting disstiller's yeast to go above 14%, it was said it go to 20%, and the washed turbo, could do better reaching 16%....

Back