sediment at end of keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spb

Reaction score
So I have read and seen that sediment comes out of homebrew kegs in the first couple of glasses. In my current keg, I have started getting very sedimenty glasses and the keg is just about done. I did pick the keg to check how much was left and this may have contributed. But where was this sediment hiding that it only came out at the end of 5 gallons?
Thanks!

spb said:
So I have read and seen that sediment comes out of homebrew kegs in the first couple of glasses. In my current keg, I have started getting very sedimenty glasses and the keg is just about done. I did pick the keg to check how much was left and this may have contributed. But where was this sediment hiding that it only came out at the end of 5 gallons?
Thanks!

Maybe it was stuck to the sides, and when you jostled it around it got wash back into the beer?

-walker

To avoid this, I took the beverage out tube (the long tube that feeds to the very bottom of the keg) and cut off about 1/4'' off the bottom. The bottom of the keg should have a little valley right in the middle. This was designed so that all the soda syrup could be picked up but the soda companies did not have to worry about any crud at the bottom. The owner of my LHBS suggested this and my first glass is foamy but never had any particles in it at all.

Sorry, forgot to answer your question. I just started kegging but yeah, I would think this is common as your are slurping out the last of the beer, the straw is trying to pick up anything it can. This is the same reason you are not supposed to let the fuel tank on your car run empty often. The fuel pump starts to pick up the crud that builds up on the bottom of the tank. Usually this stuff just kind of shifts back and forth but as the tank becomes low, anything can be sucked up.

Even if the beer you rack into the keg looks 'clear', there's still a tiny bit of solid trub and yeast still floating around. Over time, this settles to the bottom and usually just sits there as a layer of crud. If the keg gets jostled (especially if it's almost empty) this yuck gets re-suspended and comes out in the next glass of beer.

Simple as that.

Latest posts

Back