Why Would One Yeast Ring be Harder to Remove Than Another?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a wheat beer (~73%) on Nov. 30 (Abbaye). I just kegged an imperial stout (Lutra). I used Torpedo kegs to ferment both, under pressure. Obviously, the wheat keg sat a long time. Both were sealed.

I cleaned both kegs today. I used the Australian version of PBW and fairly hot water in a Bucket Blaster. Didn't get up to 130, as has been advised. I only ran the machine for 10 minutes per keg, because that has worked in the past.

The crud slid right out of the neglected wheat keg. The ring came right off. The ring on the stout keg was like epoxy. I tried a toilet brush--don't worry; it has been over a week since I used it on the toilets. I used a hand brush. I soaked the keg in warm water and Dawn for a couple of hours. Still would not come off.

I ended up scrubbing it off with Scotchbrite and real PBW, and I had to use my fingernails for some spots.

What gives?

I buy Tide and put it in a spray bottle for stains and spots. Some kind of super stain-killer version. I forget the name. I dilute it with water so it will squirt. Maybe I should try it on my next stubborn ring.

how long has the ring been dry? I fill my kegs with oxy and water and let sit for a few days before going to clean them. any rings or krausen comes right off.

Your guess is as good as mine. You would think a couple of hours of soaking would loosen any ring. And I was really surprised when it stood up to a brush.

With my cheap plastic brewery sink I can put a couple tablespoons of OxyFree in a carboy, dissolve that with a couple gallons of water at the same temp as the glass, stuff a bung in it, stand it on the bung in the sink and let it sit for 10-15 minutes (or longer if need be) before they're ready to finish up. These had decent rings but after 10 minutes soaking it took one quick go 'round with the brush and they were sparkling again...

ab_06feb2024_3.jpg

Ironically I have a "Mark II" keg washer that's supposed to be good for carboys but my one test proved otherwise. So it's still the ol' armstrong washing routine for me ;)

Cheers!

This doesn't answer your question, but the primary reason why I've not chosen to jump on the ferment in a keg bandwagon is because one of the very first lessons I learned as a homebrewer is never, ever, under any circumstances allow anything dirty to dry. The idea of dried krausen on the top of a keg gives me the willies.

Now, in a vain attempt to be useful, if I were fermenting in kegs, I think I would pre-soak the keg overnight in a working-strength cleaning solution of your choice, then rack that cleaning solution into the vessel for your keg washer and run the wash as per normal. A two-day soak would likely be better. Alkaline cleaning agents have a tendency to harden on the bottom of surfaces if you allow them to soak for extended periods, you're likely safe for a few days. I wouldn't push past a week.

Regarding the toilet bowl brush, another lesson that I learned early on as a homebrewer is that you can't trust the old homebrewing books. A week's drying time simply isn't enough to sanitize a toilet brush--even in sunlight. Fortunately, getting it homebrew clean is as simple as running it through the dishwasher.

Hope you found this useful.

I guess I deserve this for being sarcastic, but I can't tell if you're serious about putting a used toilet brush in a dishwasher where dishes and forks go.

I've read Charlie's book but fortunately had forgotten that whole bit, but I'm going to assume he was using a toilet brush bought solely for brewing use, because the alternative is just rude :oops:

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back