Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orchard1983

Reaction score
I have a question about secondary fermentation. I have a fermenting bucket and a bottling bucket. I don't want to go buy a carboy. Is there any reason that I cant do the first fermentation in the bottling bucket, transfer to the other bucket for the secondary fermentation, and then back to bottling bucket to bottle?

And while I'm at it, how early should I active my Wyeast smack pack. I have read at least 24 hours, should it be longer or no?

Thanks,

Jim

I have done that with my buckets. I don't like to do it though, but it will work. The spigot is a source for problems sometimes. If it leaks, you have a mess. They will leak periodically. Replace the spigot occasionally if you plan to use the bucket as a fermenter.

24-48 hours on the smack pack...

Welcome to HBT!

The good news is you are all set up for no secondary brewing. No need to secondary unless you are adding fruit, dry hopping, etc.

Lots of folks leave their beer in the primary for 3 + weeks and rack straight to bottling bucket for bottling. Leaving your beer on the yeast cake allows the yeast to ferment, clean up its waste (off flavors), and clear your beer. The thing is to leave your beer long enough that the yeast can finish its work.

Thanks for the quick replies. Seeing as this is the second person telling me to jsut do one fermentation for 3 weeks, ill go wtih that....

So I am brewing friday, so jsut smacked my smack pack. The instructions were saying to move the inner packet to a corner and give it a smack and make sure the inner packet broke. I couldnt feel anything inside except what felt liek a liquid, how do i know if it opened?

The pack will start to swell pretty soon if you've broken open the inner nutrient pack.

And +1 on no secondary. I only use them if I'm dry hopping and want to reuse the yeast from the primary without a lot of hops sludge.

Another question, the Wyeast site says that once the package is swollen it should be refridgerated again, is that true or should i leave it out in the 64-70 degree temp for the 24-48 hours.

Another question, the Wyeast site says that once the package is swollen it should be refridgerated again, is that true or should i leave it out in the 64-70 degree temp for the 24-48 hours.

Leave it out- I assume you'll be pitching the yeast into 70 degree wort, so you will want to have them at approximately the same temperature as to knock shock the yeast.

Back