Secondary fermentation - temp control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPNewBrew

Reaction score
Ok - getting ready to brew my first beer (a honey ale) that is requiring me to rack off to a secondary after fermentation in the primary. My instructions are clear about the temperature my yeast is looking for in primary, but I’m not sure (instructions aren’t clear) that I need to maintain that temperature through secondary fermentation as well. Normally, I start my beer off on the cool end of the fermentation guideline, the slowly let the temp creep up as I go through the (typical) 7-10 primary fermentation cycle.

Do I keep temp within fermentation range (62-68) for secondary, or can I let it warm up a little. I use a cool bag and frozen 2litre bottles to keep temps cooler; that’s why I ask.

Thanks!

You can and should skip transferring the beer into another vessel unless you are using it immediately for bottling.

Secondary fermentation occurs in the bottles, turning the priming sugar into alcohol and carbonation.
I generally keep the bottles between 70-75°F.

Unless you are adding a fermentable (like honey or fruits) skip secondary. The recipe you are following is simply a record of what someone else did, not necessarily a set of rules you must follow.

Off flavors are developed in the early part of fermentation and you need to control the temperature during that to avoid them. Once the sugars are mostly gone you can let the beer warm to room temp to help the yeast clean up any off flavors that did develop.

Back