secondary and kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m getting into kegging and have questions on when to carbonate and use of a keg for cold conditioning. I’m doing 10 gal batch and therefore have 2 kegs/batch.

Question: Is there any benefit to NOT force carbonating the keg for a month or so while it’s in the fridge for cold conditioning purposes? Would it aid in clarification or rounding out the beer? This is assuming it’s already gone through primary and secondary fermentation. My thought is since I have 2 kegs, after secondary I force carbonate and drink one but leave the other uncarbonated in the fridge. Carbonate the 2nd keg when the first keg is about 3 wks from being empty.

agreed. put gas on it and vent the safety valve a few times so you get less 'air' and mostly CO2 inside the keg's headspace.

the cold helps more with getting the yeast to finish dropping out of suspension. the gas doesn't.

Latest posts

Back