Second batch rookie question. How hot is too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justbrew23

Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

Quick question I am in the middle of my second batch. I am using an Witbier extract kit from Brewers Best. I was steeping my grains in a smaller pot at the correct temperatures 148-153 degrees for thirty five minutes. I then placed my thermometer inside of the grain bag and went to get another beer...... then I looked at the temperature had jumped up from 150 to 175-180 degrees. I immediately removed it from the heat and put the thermometer back into the wort and it jumped back down to 150 in a few minutes. I know tannins can be released aboard 155 degrees.

How big of a mistake is this? How can I be getting such different temperatures? I am continuing the batch but is it even worth it?

Sorry for the long post just wanted to explain the situation.

Thanks,

Hey Brewers,

Quick question I am in the middle of my second batch. I am using an Witbier extract kit from Brewers Best. I was steeping my grains in a smaller pot at the correct temperatures 148-153 degrees for thirty five minutes. I then placed my thermometer inside of the grain bag and went to get another beer...... then I looked at the temperature had jumped up from 150 to 175-180 degrees. I immediately removed it from the heat and put the thermometer back into the wort and it jumped back down to 150 in a few minutes. I know tannins can be released aboard 155 degrees.

How big of a mistake is this? How can I be getting such different temperatures? I am continuing the batch but is it even worth it?

Sorry for the long post just wanted to explain the situation.

Thanks,
Tannin extraction is related to pH not necessarily temperature. Tannin can be extracted from grains when the pH of the brewing liquor is over 6.0. The steeping grains of an extract kit have a minor contribution to the entire recipe. Even if some tannins were extracted from the grains it most likely will not be noticeable.

Thanks for the reassurance! I finished the batch and it tasted fine, I added in some sweet orange peel to the end of the boil. Hopefully it'll turn out okay.

Some kits instructions will have you put the grains in cool water and not take them out until the wort comes to a boil. You should be just fine with your minor temperature excursion.

Best practice is to steep them at 148 to 160 as if there are any base malts in the specialty grains the enzymes will convert their starches to sugars in that range. It's also good practice for you as if you go to all grain you will know how to control the temperature.

I am going to go all grain eventually so I appreciate the feedback. My main concerns was why the grains would be hotter than the wort? Unfortunately I'm using an electric stove so it is difficult to get consistent temperatures. My local brew shop said it's easiest to start an all grain brew by brewing in a bag. Is that what you would suggest?

Back