sealed lme shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquajon1

Reaction score
I have a 3lb container of lme still with foil seal on it. I think it is 1 yr old. there is no date on container. is it still good or should I toss it...

It is still good. The main issues you may have is that it can darken over time, but still works fine.

I have seen bulk (sealed) LME in my LHBS, that was over a year old. I wouldn't buy it, but when I pointed it out to the guy at the counter, he said that it was OK.

From my research, you should be fine. Open and see if there is any mold on the top. If it was sealed, it should be ok.

Next time, throw it in the fridge.

I wouldn't worry about it if it's factory sealed....and I also wouldn't worry about it supposedly darkening over time, unless I was brewing to enter the beer in a competition...I brew for me and mine, color be damned...it's all about tasting good, plain and simple.

It'll be darker & the resulting flavor will be a bit different. But it can still make good beer. I've used 2 year old Cooper's lager cans before,& it came out quite similar to a Salvator doppel bock. So use it a see for yourself.

Back