Buying Orings and such

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I was reading a post about some old Perlick faucets that someone was rebuilding and it got me to thinking. I have 3 or 4, if not more, old Taprite faucets that I was thinking of rebuilding in the hopes of having a multi tap system at some point. My question is this. Can I just take the O rings and washers off, bring them to my local hardware store and buy off the shelf? Or since they come in contact with the beer, do they need to be some sort of special material? I know they are old and probably easier to buy new ones that are better sealing and all that, but since I have them I wanted to give them a go. I can rebuild one, put it on my keg to try out and see what happens. Anyway, any input on this is most appreciate.

I was reading a post about some old Perlick faucets that someone was rebuilding and it got me to thinking. I have 3 or 4, if not more, old Taprite faucets that I was thinking of rebuilding in the hopes of having a multi tap system at some point. My question is this. Can I just take the O rings and washers off, bring them to my local hardware store and buy off the shelf? Or since they come in contact with the beer, do they need to be some sort of special material? I know they are old and probably easier to buy new ones that are better sealing and all that, but since I have them I wanted to give them a go. I can rebuild one, put it on my keg to try out and see what happens. Anyway, any input on this is most appreciate.
If you have a well stocked hardware store you may be able to get away with it.

If not, carefully measure your existing o rings. Figure out their dash number, and order to your hearts content from Amazon, McMaster, Etc.

https://www.parcoinc.com/products/o-rings/o-ring-size-chart/

Back