Screwed up with airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffin495

Reaction score
I think I might have screwed up my last batch of beer with the airlock. Or not.

When I go to cold crash my beers, I pull off the airlock and just cover the bung with a piece of sanitized aluminum foil to avoid any suckback. Well, when I did this the other day, I realized I never put in the floating bubbler (bell shaped) part of the 3 piece airlock when I installed the airlock on brew day!

I have no idea how I forgot. Maybe the kid was trying to get my attention, maybe I was rushing because the wife and kid where at home when I normally brew when they are gone. I don't know. Didn't think to take a sample of it at the time, but its been in the back of my head.

Planning on bottling it Saturday or Sunday regardless and fingers crossed that it still turns out and that nothing bad got in and screwed it up. Just had to vent. 50 something beers and I've never done this. No wonder it wasn't bubbling LOL

I did almost the same think about a month ago with a batch of helles, I didn't fill the airlock enough to cover the vent holes in the bell. Realized when I went to check gravity that it had fermented open the whole damned time. The beer turned out fine though, hopefully the constant CO2 production prevented oxygen ingress. Go ahead and bottle/keg and see if yours turned out okay too.

Oh, and I threw out all of my 3-piece airlocks right after making the discovery. I will only use the S-type from now on.

Yeah, I plan on bottling it anyway. I'm not tossing out all that work just because it "might" be messed up.

Latest posts

Back