Silicone Venting Bung - Dry Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Peterson

Reaction score
Good evening folks. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

Recently purchased the silicon venting bung/dry airlock from Keystone Homebrew Supply (I have no affiliation other than being a customer).

I wanted to post the results that I have experienced with the dry airlocks in case any other mead makers were interested.

I started seeking a solution for an issue I was having with my traditional airlocks. When the temp or pressure changed, I would get back pressure where air was sucked in through my airlocks. I was concerned about oxidation. My search led me to the silicon venting bung.

Results: I came home tonight to see the PET plastic carboy that my mead is residing in temporarily no longer round. The back pressure is collapsing the plastic carboy. The venting bung is not letting in any air.

I had questions as to the sealing qualities of the product. It definitely works.

My understanding is that they are better suited for aging vs active fermentation.

They are expensive compared to the alternative. That said, seems like a set it and forget it piece of gear.

Todd Peterson

Kind of funny. I just checked on meads that I have in secondary and I just had this same exact experience. I lifted the top flap and the PET carboy sprung back to its original size. I use these for aging so I am not messing with the airlock refilling... well, forgetting to top them up really.

Back