Airlock Water in my Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codefoster

Reaction score
I just finished a batch and was transferring it to a keg for carbonation. My fermentation tank had a bung with a hose going into my airlock container of water. When I transferred, the vacuum sucked all of my airlock water into the batch before I noticed what was happening. I estimate that 24oz (a couple of beers) worth of airlock water made it into my batch. The water was treated with StarSan and had been sitting out in the open for almost two weeks. What are the risks of spoiling the batch either by introducing a bad taste, watering it down, or introducing an infection?

Since it was Starsan it probably won't introduce any infection. Any germs or wild yeast that dropped into the Starsan would've been killed. But 24oz sucked into what I assume is a 5 gallon batch may add a bit of a "tang" to the flavor, due to the acidity. Your FG will drop a little, too.

Wait to see how it turns out. Don't give up on the beer yet.

I guess it depends on what type airlock you have, but the three piece airlocks that I use won't let the liquid in them get in the FV. If there is that much suck back, then they'll pass the air that they are trying to trap. But only if you fill them correctly to the faint line that is on many of them that isn't easy to see. And you probably won't know about if you didn't read their instruction pamphlet that came with them.

24oz?!?!?!?!

Your air lock is mighty.
I was oblivous to that when I read the OP's post. You are right, that must be a mighty airlock. Or perhaps they are using a blowoff tube with a bubbler jar.

When I use blowoff tubes, I put the end of the tube just far enough below the surface so it can't suck back enough liquid to contaminate the beer.

Yep, blowoff tube with a bubbler jar. It's pretty common for me to get super active ferments that overwhelm the little airlocks. I normally change the blowoff tube out for a little airlock after the first week when it's calmed down, but this time for whatever reason, I left it in.
It's easy enough to just pull the tube out of the jar while I'm kegging. I just neglected to do it.

Back