PP Rigid Duotight Joiners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashdar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im considering getting one of the duotight secondary regulator boards, primarily to have a soda pressure line, but separate beer lines is a bonus.

The kit at Morebeer (chronically on back order) is ~25% cheaper than buying components, but it comes with rigid polypropylene joiner tubes. Rigid connections will make everything sturdier/prettier, but PP seems like a poor choice for long duration gas applications.

What do others think? I'm currently inclined to use short EVAbarrier segments for lower permiability.

@KegLand , do you treat the PP tubes with anything for reduced gas permiability?

PP joiner tubes:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/rigid-plastic-joiner-duotight-fittings-8-mm-10-pack.html
KegLand Part Number: KL18012

I have found hardware stores to carry 5/16" PP tubing which is fairly rigid, you an cut them down to the lengths you like. 5/16 is useable with the 8mm fittings.

The 4 and 6 boards are in stock at Morebeer. If you are concerned about the rigid sections permeability, yes go ahead and replace with Evabarrier. It won't be as neat, even Morebeer acknowledges that. Somewhat different situation but I built a 1 inch pex manifold for my heating systen in similar fashion and even with clamps it's not square. Short pieces aren't too bendy but may retain their slight curve. Maybe gently heat the length of Evabarrier and stretch straight. It's just cosmetic although I do understand!

Are you planning on secondary regulators?

You could also go with a metal manifold and still use Duotight and Evabarrier. Just get one with flare fittings not barbs. A manifold will typically have the valves already and the valves should already have check valves integral.

Yeah, I'd like to have ~40psi or w/e for soda. Also different 8-14psi for beers would be a nice perk.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm missing something re the PP

Maybe I can buy a bunch of 2" stainless tubes from Bobby, lol.
SS would work, I've attached duotight to jockey box coils. There's something about putting a score line with a tube cutter on the SS tubing to help the ptc fittings hold. However I've never done that and it hasn't mattered that I've noticed. BobbyM mentioned it so he knows where to score it.
I don't know how permeable the rigid tubing is to know if this is a critical concern. It seems a potentially valid concern.

Latest posts

Back