screwed up star san dilution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phytotech

Reaction score
I have been using Io Star as a sanitizer for a little over a year and liked the good results, bottled about 1200 bottles and only had 1 infected bottle so I am extremely happy with the results. Though I did like that you can keep San Star for longer and my LHBS started carrying it so I bought some.

I am not used to the imperial system and I totally screwed up the dilution adding only 0.3 mL of the concentrate to 1.9 L of distilled water. I am used to adding 5 mL of Io star to 4 L of water but never think of it as oz and gallons.

I unfortunately used the under diluted product to "sanitize" my primary before dumping my wort in and then pitching the yeast in starter (Wyeast British Ale II for a brown ale).

I used the primary just the day before to bottle some mist wine after filtering it. So I sterilized it for ~2 hours with K-meta solution, bottled the wine then cleaned it thoroughly with B-Brite rinsing it with tap water and storing it.

I checked the pH of the solution I made it is was 3.5, not sure that matters it did produce some foam but not copious amounts.

Not sure if there is anything I can do to improve my odds now or am I completely buggered? What would you guess my chances for infection are?

thanks

Back