Re-use vinegar bottles ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sballe

Reaction score
So I have a bunch of 500ml screw-top glass bottles that used to contain vinegar (white wine vinegar).

Would it be ok to give them a good clean, fill them with boiling water, sanitize with star-san and then use them for some ice-cider and some apple-wine that I made?

Or would the acetobactor survive a clean and ruin it all?

Thx :)

I'd be careful using boiling water with glass bottles, but soaking in fairly hot water and using a detergent, such as washing soda or Oxiclean should clean them well.

After the soak use a bottle brush, and make sure to get into all corners. There's not much that clings to glass persistently. The lids, likely being plastic may require some extra attention, though, as they have crevices and hard to clean areas. Do not boil, they may shrink.
Then rinse well and sanitize.

We reuse plastic (PET) vinegar bottles for various purposes, but they probably never had live acetobacter in them.

Be careful if carbonation takes place, those bottles may not be able to hold much pressure, if any.

Back