scales and tides?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
should i like look at the moon during the day? my scale read 43lb's11.8oz's earlier...now it's 43lb's12.1oz's? it stays on 24/7 and i know the moon can effect sea levels.....is this thing actually that cool, :D

well i see this is the meridian for the moon here, but i'd imagine that would make the tank lighter? i'm going to keep my eye on the moon and these slight changes in the scale from now on....see if they correlate.....checking for co2 leaks is a serious thing! ;) all of you might worry about o2 getting into their systems, but i'm worried about what's important co2 getting out!

edit: went out and looked, the moon is at it's highest, but it's barley a sliver...not even a cresent moon, does that effect tides? i mean like if the suns pulling more.... not like we orbit the moon?

and this is serious, i don't apreciate you joking around about stuff like this! if the moon or sun can effect my scale by even a tenth an ounce i need to know about it!

man you just hurt my brain, trying to get a simple answer how many grams a gravity was! lol

edit: and damn now i need to find something that weighs an exact tenth of an ounce and put it on there....just to see.....

edit #2: i love this thing, i weighed my plastic 1/4tsp spoon, it was 3.3 grams, i put it on top of my tank, and it went up 0.1 oz's....

well, my tank is 43lb's11.5oz's this morning while the sun is UP....and i poured 12x12oz pours...so a loss of 0.3oz's is about right.....(it does round, it's not that accurate!) i'll keep my eye on it, but i think the sun and moon do effect it.....

local_g.png

you know there's plenty of drug addicts that think a half ounce is A LOT! ;) :D

and i know it's the sun f'in with it if it goes up a half ounce again tonight! lol

you know there's plenty of drug addicts that think a half ounce is A LOT! ;) :D

and i know it's the sun f'in with it if it goes up a half ounce again tonight! lol

If you are seeing small changes day vs night perhaps it's a temperature thing that's effecting something with the scale, not the co2. Also, if you're measuring at the resolution limit of your scale the twitchiness of the measurement increases.

well, haven't had my coffee yet, but last night it only went up 0.1oz....i'll have to check the tide level yesterday vs day before....

@marc1 it's 110lb scalex0.1oz...and it's got 44lb's on it...so about midway....and i too thought temp at first, because that diffentaly effects electrical resistance....might still be the case, i did fire up the A/C yesterday.....

I think you may need another hobby. You are way too worried, maybe obsessed, about the cheapest most readily available part of brewing. I pay 3.5 cents for an ounce of co2 and fermentation produces a lot more for free so to speak. Probably used that much in electricity typing this. Just saying.

i just did the math, at $27 for a 20lb'r, that they only fill with 18lb's "usually" (only got 13lb's last time) it's 9.3 cents an ounce!

He’s brewed 10 gallon batches of beer every week for over a decade for 8 dollars. Don’t besmirch the man his penny pinching on CO2 loss. This is serious stuff. I think he’s on to something. Just think of the cost added up over time. This could put him out of business.

if anything the co2 is a long drive to swap it, and i'd have to stay sober long enough to be able to drive! (and i didn't start brewing $8 dollar batches till 2016, and have since relaxed and went back to, buying, malt...so now they're costing me $30) but the co2 is a point of pride!

it's high tide in san diego at 8:21am, it's 7:55am....and my scale just lost 0.1oz.....they say it's low tide at 1:44PM, if it's goes up at 1:30pm, i know the tides affect my scale.....

and to the smack talkers.....i get 8150 grams in my underfilled tank, it takes 1.3oz's to carbonate, and 0.65 grams every pour.....even if i got a spare 5lb tank for carbing, that would only be 12 thousand five hundred and 38 pours....barely enough to make it through a long winter...

I haven't paid over $11 for a 20# swap in at least 6 years. I'm assuming they are full, never weighed one. I get close to a year off one bottle. Hasn't been worth the effort to care for me. To each their own I guess. Do you sparge to a gravity of 1.000 too?

Just gotta give some ****.

Do you sparge to a gravity of 1.000 too?

i would if my pot was bigger! lol, but i'd have to acidify my sparge water, otherwise tannins.....

to each their own, to me seeing how cheap i can make them...is why i have fun making my own drugs....i've experienced the pay whatever i want thing, didn't like it....

it's offically high tide and my scale dropped half an ounce.....if i wasn't asking the question i'd panic and try to pin down a leak! for confirmation i'm going to watch for it to go up at 1:44pm.....if it's accurate enough to detect 3 grams.....

(actually 0.3oz's, but i do mean i'd be in a panic if i saw that without considerinjg gravity!)

Last edited:
You are onto something, I weighed my tanks to see. Only 16 lbs in the full cylinder, 15.7 in the almost full, a couple of transfers used from it, and 11.3 in the one on the kegerator for just over 6 months. I think that means I've used 5 lbs in 6 months. Still only 4.3 cents per ounce, and $7 for a year.
Now I wonder why they dont fill all the way? Must be like propane, only 3.7 gallons instead of 4.4, which is why I have mine filled. Hmmm.

Only 16 lbs in the full cylinder

yeah, i used to ask to make sure the tank had the TW stamp....now i'm bringing a scale with me....after getting home to find out this one only had 13lb's i was a little irked....i did the math and it takes me around 3.4oz's to carb and push a keg....but thanks to doug293cz chart that goes to 50psi, i know i don't need to burn an ounce purging now.....

and no it's not the money, it just wasn't the deal, so once again a matter of pride.....

damn, my scale dropped another 0.1oz....and being i'm using the time of the closest coast city, that's an hour time zone away....makes sense....

all i can say, if i didn't think to wonder about maybe gravity possibly effecting it...i would have ripped torn through the entire thing by now to try to pin point the leak......

Sorry man, I have to agree with the @day_trippr. A quick search confirmed the 10^-07 effect. A tenth of an ounce on 44 pounds (704 ounches) is the fourth significant figure. Summary is a tenth of an ouch is still three orders of magnitude more than the effect of the moon. It's not the moon causing variations on your scale, sorry.

the sun AND moon pull the ocean up 5ft.....and i've been watching this effect for a week now.....i tried keeping the temp the same, and gravity still effects it....

and if you're willing to look up the moon....i notice my scale goes up at night and down at noon...then starts going back up when the sun is over the yard arm.....about a half ounce, and the sun effects tides more then the moon....you are very right, the moon maybe only pulls the ocean up maybe a foot or two when the sun and moon are aligned, but when the suns up, it's a pretty constant 4-5 feet.....

for the record, i opened my door, so it's changed...but this morning at 7am, my scale read 43lb's3.1oz's....at 4pm...it was 43lb's3.6oz's.....and like i said this has happened every day for a week that i've been notcing....i've had the scale for about a year but i was thinking it was elecrical resistance in the sensors....now i'm pretty sure it's the sun and moon.....because i've tried running the A/C all day same thing....

edit: this is drumking rambling and not a serious forum right? where ican say i'm not asking wether, brewing at night or day, can increase my enzyme or extraction effec.....hmmm,damn now that i'm thinking about it though..... ;) :mug:

edit #2: seriously, if the pull of the sun effects my scale by about a half ounce, if i like fly sparge in the middle of the night....maybe gravity would help get more extraction! i might try that!

Last edited:
and if you're willing to look up the moon....i notice my scale goes up at night and down at noon...then starts going back up when the sun is over the yard arm.....about a half ounce, and the sun effects tides more then the moon....you are very right, the moon maybe only pulls the ocean up maybe a foot or two when the sun and moon are aligned, but when the suns up, it's a pretty constant 4-5 feet.....

for the record, i opened my door, so it's changed...but this morning at 7am, my scale read 43lb's3.1oz's....at 4pm...it was 43lb's3.6oz's.....and like i said this has happened every day for a week that i've been notcing....i've had the scale for about a year but i was thinking it was elecrical resistance in the sensors....now i'm pretty sure it's the sun and moon.....because i've tried running the A/C all day same thing....

edit: this is drumking rambling and not a serious forum right? where ican say i'm not asking wether, brewing at night or day, can increase my enzyme or extraction effec.....hmmm,damn now that i'm thinking about it though..... ;) :mug:

edit #2: seriously, if the pull of the sun effects my scale by about a half ounce, if i like fly sparge in the middle of the night....maybe gravity would help get more extraction! i might try that!

We need to get you in front of a camera @bracconiere and distribute your daily doings to the world...with advertising of course to get paid

it's offically high tide and my scale dropped half an ounce.....if i wasn't asking the question i'd panic and try to pin down a leak! for confirmation i'm going to watch for it to go up at 1:44pm.....if it's accurate enough to detect 3 grams.....

(actually 0.3oz's, but i do mean i'd be in a panic if i saw that without considerinjg gravity!)

Tides are a result of the moons gravity, but the timing and magnitude are greatly affected by the shape of the coastline. Perhaps you should be consulting with the university astronomy department?

i just got up, so this was just half cup of coffee quick, search....

Even though the Sun is 391 times as far away from the Earth as the Moon, its force on the Earth is about 175 times as large.

and then it says it doesn't effect the tides as much as the moon, because science....now my brain hurts.....

i know time of day/night effects my scale...i've tried keeping it the same temp all day too....

We need to get you in front of a camera @bracconiere and distribute your daily doings to the world.

they'd probably throw me in prison! :)

edit: or is that a crack that i should let someone else talk?

Last edited:
what about outside tempreture effecting, like the angle of the floor in this double wide? the tank does have lopsided whieght on it, with the reg and gas line and everything......and do hear the occasional crack and pop out of the walls.....hmmmmm

edit speak of the devil....30 seconds after typing that, my jar of acetone popped......

Last edited:
Even though the Sun is 391 times as far away from the Earth as the Moon, its force on the Earth is about 175 times as large.

and then it says it doesn't effect the tides as much as the moon, because science....now my brain hurts.....
Because tidal forces (the forces which cause tides) are caused by change in gravitational field (over the diameter of Earth), not by strength of gravitational field. Since the Moon is a lot closer, the change in gravitational field from one side of the Earth to the other is a lot more than the change in gravitational field from the Sun from one side of the Earth to the other.

Because tidal forces (the forces which cause tides) are caused by change in gravitational field (over the diameter of Earth), not by strength of gravitational field. Since the Moon is a lot closer, the change in gravitational field from one side of the Earth to the other is a lot more than the change in gravitational field from the Sun from one side of the Earth to the other.

thanks for that strangley easy way of understanding....so then could the sun effect my scale by .3-.5oz? and it's not related to the tide then? but is gravity?

Back