saving leftover dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hb771

Reaction score
Safael says in their documentation that you can only keep an open pack of US05
for a week in the fridge. Is this true?? What do you do with your extra.
Its a waste to throw it away for people who only do 1 gallon batches and dont use much.

Lies. I've kept it in the freezer, after opening it, vacuum sealed for well over a year and used it normally without issue

I fold the top over and refrigerate my leftover dry yeast. It keeps for months. A clothespin keeps it closed but a paper-clip would work too.

I fold the top over and refrigerate my leftover dry yeast. It keeps for months. A clothespin keeps it closed but a paper-clip would work too.

yes, and even if you can vacuum seal, doing this and tossing in the freezer works at least as well, if not better.

I can also confirm this works very well. I keep the folded-over pack in a ziploc bag with all the air pushed out. The week-long expiration date seems completely bogus in practice.

^^ yeah they probably have to tell you a week. a number they settled on where they can absolutely guarantee the yeast will still be good.

Back