saving half a yeast starter for later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceanbear1

Reaction score
So this makes since in my head, just want to talk it out since I couldn't find much on it via a google search.

Could I start a yeast starter, and after a couple days, pour half the contents into mason jars to store in the fridge. then an more boiled and cooled DME to my yeast starter and let it keep going for my planned beer?

Does anyone see any flaws in this plan? This is a yeast strain I usually don't harvest because the beers I make with it are heavily dry hopped, but I would like to not have to keep buying it so often.

Thanks in advance!

I think that would work. I just overbuild my starters (double the cell count needed) so I can save half and use the other half for the batch I brew. I use the yeast calculator - http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

If your flask is big enough (I have a 4L flask) then there is no need to do multiple steps. I usually can get away with a single step starter for my needs of saving half.

I hope this helps! :mug:

I think that would work. I just overbuild my starters (double the cell count needed) so I can save half and use the other half for the batch I brew. I use the yeast calculator - http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

If your flask is big enough (I have a 4L flask) then there is no need to do multiple steps. I usually can get away with a single step starter for my needs of saving half.

I hope this helps! :mug:

I like your thinking! Don't know why that didn't cross my mind

Yes, absolutely. I routinely make 2L starters and save 500ml in a mason jar to use for the next starter. For most normal gravity beers the rest of the 1.5L starter is more than enough to pitch.

I like your thinking! Don't know why that didn't cross my mind

I find myself saying the same thing (or at least thinking it) very often on this forum. The support, thoughts, suggestions, input, etc... from other members have been priceless to me. I feel that the home brewing community is a great group of people who are always willing to help out!

I think you're doing it backwards. I'd plan my starter to be bigger than it needs to be by whatever volume you want to save. Then, when the starter is at high krauesen (12-18 hours if it's behaving correctly) I'd pitch the volume needed for the batch I'm brewing. Then I'd let the remainder ferment out and then put it in the fridge (in a jar). That way, you've got healthy and active yeast hitting the wort at the height of their growth phase, and you've got leftover yeast that have built up metabolic reserves and gone into dormancy saved in the fridge. I'd still build a new starter for the reserved yeast, though.

You could also save the extra starter at the same time you pitch the rest and put it in the fridge then. I have done that as well. Worked fine both ways.

Yes, absolutely. I routinely make 2L starters and save 500ml in a mason jar to use for the next starter. For most normal gravity beers the rest of the 1.5L starter is more than enough to pitch.

This is exactly what I do. I make a 1.5L starter, decant as much as fits into an 8 ounce mason jar (a little over 200g) and use the rest for the beer. I've been doing this for over a year and have been able to get at least 6-7 uses out of an original dry packet's worth of US05.

I derived it from this method:

http://brulosophy.com/methods/yeast-harvesting/

Latest posts

Back