Save spoiled beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajt012

Reaction score
So, being the lazy person I am, I waited too long to pitch yeast after brewing (I blame it on the yeast I bought not looking like it was good, it was clumpy in the starter, and trying to give it more time to... I don't even know). And now I have an infection in the batch.
Would pitching my starter help in any way, or should I just dump it?

Is it infected with something nasty looking, or does it appear to be fermenting via some wild yeast? How long did you wait before pitching? If it's fermenting, you could just let it go and see what the yeast tastes like. If it's not, you could pitch your yeast and see where it goes after 6-12 months if you're willing to tie up a fermentor for that long (couldn't hurt- would you really feel good using an infected fermentor right away anyway?).

If the beer already smells and tastes terrible, I'd dump it and use your starter for the next batch.

It has a nice white fuzzy layer on top. It took me about a week before I tried to pitch the yeast.

I transported unfermented wort across state lines and didn't get a chance to pitch for 3 days after brewing before. I had it all sanitized and sealed up and pitched yeast when I got home and the beer turned out amazing. If you've already got fuzz on it, it's likely not a good start though

Back