Save a hefe that was abandoned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt B

Reaction score
I brewed a hefeweizen beer back in May and out in the fermenter. Soon after my life went CrAZy for several months. I haven't bottled it and it's still in the primary fermenter. I find it hard to get motivated to try to bottle it now because I'm afraid it'll be stale tasting. Is there anything I can add to a hefe that'll perk the flavor up some? Maybe some fruit flavors or some cultured bacteria?

TIA!

Hefeweizen is usually best fresh, but just try how it tastes. If it tastes fine, bottle! If not dump it. No point in wasting more ingredients in something which already went downhill.

Agree. Pull a glass, give it a taste, if you get past that, cover the glass with plastic wrap and chill it and try it again.
If it's something worth bottling, I recommend adding some dry yeast along with primer, and include a capped 12 plastic soda bottle with the glass bottles so you have a way to determine how (if) carbonation is happening (if it gets almost too hard to squeeze good things are happening :))

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back