Sanyo 4912 still available

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianP

Reaction score
Some say that they are available at Best Buy. Finding them at a store is hit or miss, but the are sold online, however shipping is quite expensive, over $100 if I recall correctly. Their website offers store pickup, but I've been unable to find any store that has them, let alone a store near me.

So, plan B was to check out Fry's, which is a west-coast retailer. They still have them, and their shipping to Michigan was only $17.

After searching craigslist for the odd chance that one was available used (or a Kenmore Elite, or a Danby, etc. etc.), I went ahead and ordered one. Total cost was slightly more than BestBuy was selling them before shipping.

Of course there are other brands that can be modified slightly (moving a thermostat, etc.)., but if you're in the market for a Sanyo, check out your local BestBuy to see if by chance they happen to have one, or check out Fry's.

I have had no luck in SE Michigan finding one of these. I've seen a few on metro-Detroit Craigslist but I've always been a day late or a dollar short. Thanks for the heads up on Fry's website.

Well, the Sanyo arrived today. In a few pieces. It appears to have been dropped from a great height. The glass shelves were shattered, and the compressor even came loose from its mountings, electrical connections came loose too.

Fry's customer service seems to be very helpful and will be sending another one and arranging for this one to be picked up.

I'm a little bummed, but hopefully the next one won't get destroyed.

Schweaty, good luck with your CL hunting. Otherwise there are some other ones (Danby and Magic Chef I think) which can work with a little modification if you're interested in doing that.

Some say that they are available at Best Buy. Finding them at a store is hit or miss, but the are sold online, however shipping is quite expensive, over $100 if I recall correctly. Their website offers store pickup, but I've been unable to find any store that has them, let alone a store near me.

So, plan B was to check out Fry's, which is a west-coast retailer. They still have them, and their shipping to Michigan was only $17.

After searching craigslist for the odd chance that one was available used (or a Kenmore Elite, or a Danby, etc. etc.), I went ahead and ordered one. Total cost was slightly more than BestBuy was selling them before shipping.

Of course there are other brands that can be modified slightly (moving a thermostat, etc.)., but if you're in the market for a Sanyo, check out your local BestBuy to see if by chance they happen to have one, or check out Fry's.

You order it online, they send it to the store you choose, you just go get it. Shipping is shipping to YOUR address, which isn't necessary, if you live near a store.

You order it online, they send it to the store you choose, you just go get it. Shipping is shipping to YOUR address, which isn't necessary, if you live near a store.

I tried that, and even called BestBuy to see if they could accomplish what I could not. The store pickup option was not available, hence the need to ship it to me, which I passed on due to cost.

I went to the Best Buy site and didn't even see the Sanyo 4912 on there. I've seen some of the other models that were converted but I like the 4912 because there is less fuss. The seal is easily removed and attached and I wouldn't have to relocate the thermostat or anything.

I tried that, and even called BestBuy to see if they could accomplish what I could not. The store pickup option was not available, hence the need to ship it to me, which I passed on due to cost.

Yeah, Best Buy's store pickup option is only available for stuff that's in stock at the store.

My local Best Buy didn't have any Sanyos, but I went in and asked about other stores. They were able to check the computer and found one in a somewhat nearby store (a few hours away). It was trucked in from that store and sold to me for about $165. I didn't have to pay any shipping costs. The stores do have different prices though. I noticed on the computer that it cost less at the store it was shipped from. The local store charged me what their price was when they last had them in stock.

So, yeah, go in to Best Buy and somebody in appliances check other stores. I would definitely go in person and it might still depend on who you deal with.

Back