Sanke Tank Depressurizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellsreach

Reaction score
I bought a commercial keg to convert to a fermenter and, unsuprizingly, it was partially full and full pressurized. Since I have not particular desire to have a spear shot through my skull, I need to vent it completely. what is the best way to do that. I don't have any sanke equipment, so I'll probably need to pick up things.

I saw a sanke valve and spear removal tool for $90 (ouch). Couldn't I just use a coupler for a much cheaper $30? Is there a cheap option? Is it safe, for example, to simply push on the plunger to vent? Is that even possible?

Depress the ball on the keg with a flat head screw driver. That will definitely release the pressure although maybe some beer along with it.

Maybe turn the keg on its side first, then depress the ball. That might reduce the amount of beer shooting out. I'd put a towel over the opening to contain any blast of liquid. And do it outside.

Once you release the pressure, then you can go about removing the spear. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing how to do it. It is helpful to have a small flat head screwdriver and a pair of needlenose pliers. There is a flat ring that you need to remove. You use the screwdriver to pry it out of the groove and then grip it with the pliers and rotate it out. It's pretty simple.

yep I do it like heza said. take it to the yard. tilt on its side use a large flat blade screwdriver to depress the ball then you pry/pull the snap ring in the groove that holds the spear.

Back