Sanitize bottle capper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwible

I drink, and I know things
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen several places that say to sanitize the bottle capper. Does anybody do this?? I’m fighting some type of chlorophenol for multiple batches and trying to figure it out. I can’t image its the capper though? I sanitize caps of course.

The capper isn't touching your beer or the bottles' inside, so no, it shouldn't be necessary.
Besides, it can make the handles slippery.

Seems more to point to the water you use for brewing and perhaps used for sanitizer. Anything change recently?
Are you dechlorinating that water?

Or perhaps a lingering infection?

phenols are usually esters from fermenting in higher temp ranges. from what i have read and experienced. i dont think its infection. do you have temp control when fermenting. i think sways in temp low or high are probably not optimal. my beer greatly improved after i started fermenting with a inkbird. even swamp cooler helped my beer and that wasnt as tight temp control as inkbird and dorm fridge. it really cut down on my conditioning time and bandaid banana type flavors.

I used to sanitize the capper, probably after reading it in the instructions that came with my first extract kits many years ago. I've since stopped, and I'm just careful with what it touches.

I never once sanitized my (Super Agata) bench capper. Never had an infected bottle, either.
Star San is acidic, I don't think I'd want to spray a metal capper down with it...

Cheers!

Never had concerns with sanitation on my bench capper, as nothing in the capper is going to touch anything inside the bottle or cap. Occasionally I've had problems with the bell not releasing the top after the cap is crimped. Now I wipe a bit of keg lube inside the bell with a Q-tip before capping.

Chlorophenol sounds like a water issue--chlorine or chloramines.

Chlorophenols are typically due to chlorine or chloramines in the brew water. So, what water are you using?

I don't. But for some, I can see where it might be a good thing to do.

Since your hands and fingers are touching both the capper and caps, then if everything you touch is sanitized, then it helps with those time your fingers might inadvertently touch the inside seal on the crown while picking up the cap.

And I don't sanitize my caps either.

After counting out my caps +two I always put them in a dish with starsan and would pull them out individually when bottling. I can remember my dad would soak his caps in warm water as they had a cork layer inside back then and he felt that swelled it a bit and might seal better. If I bottle now I use swing tops...way easier.

Don't want to soak "oxygen scrubbing" caps in anything prior to use. Might get away with a quick dunk immediately before capping, but I never bothered and never had problems...

Cheers!

I've always sanitized caps in the past but lately I am wondering if it's necessary. As long as your caps are clean, the likelihood of beer contamination is likely non-existent being we're talking about finished beer with alcohol in it.

Back