Saison: Springtime in Amarillo with multiple hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcook

Reaction score
I really enjoyed Drew’s Springtime in Amarillo recipe the last time I made it. I was thinking about brewing another batch on Father’s Day. I have lots of Pilsner on hand, wheat, aromatic & saison yeast. The only issue, I only have one ounce of Amarillo On hand. I do have the following hops in my freezer:
El Dorado, Galaxy, Cascade, Cenntenial, Saaz & Willamette. I would not lean towards the last two.

would you go to the store & get 2 more ounces of Amarillo to make the original recipe or substitute one of the others that I have in the freezer? I know saison is a “yeast driven” style, but which other hop would compliment Amarillo for a saison? Any & all suggestions are welcome.
tim

Another vote for cascade/amarillo. It's a classic American blend that appeared in a lot of APA and IPA recipes around the late 2000s/early 2010s. You could throw in a little galaxy if you want it to taste more modern.

All good hops but I also agree definitely cascade and / or centennial for this one. It'll be a different beer but not super different and guaranteed to be tasty.

I've loved cascade for decades but lately really loving centennial. When used exclusively it is, in my opinion, surprisingly mild. I'd consider kind of working things backwards...

Amarillo at 0 min as per recipe
Remaining amarillo coupled with some centennial late addition
Remaining centennial coupled with cascade for boil

Obviously they go into the boil the other direction but looking at it that way for determining the amounts.

Everyone will have a different opinion :) Good news is you can't really go wrong.

Thank you for the replies & suggestions. i will report back after brew/Father’s Day with the final recipe. I’ll probably change my mind multiple times until then.

Cheers,
tim

Thanks for pointing me to this recipe! Not a huge fan of 3711, but I guess I might substitute some other saison yeast.

I heard Simcoe goes well in Saisons as well, can anyone deny or confirm this?

Latest posts

Back