Saison FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplemontbrew

Reaction score
Have a Saison that has been in my primary fermenter for two weeks but is holding tight at 1.016. Is that close enough to 1.010 to bottle or do I need to sit tight for a few more days?

How long has it been at 1.016? Seems a little high for a saison, but there are a lot of variables in the fermentation process.
What yeast did you use and what was the temperature of the wort during fermentation?

flars said:
How long has it been at 1.016? Seems a little high for a saison, but there are a lot of variables in the fermentation process. What yeast did you use and what was the temperature of the wort during fermentation?
Used wyeast 3711 and fermented at 68 degrees. Been at 1.016 for at least three days.

That's really weird for that yeast. Wyeast should have named it "Wyeast 1.004" instead of 3711 because every beer seems to finish there regardless of recipe or process.

I second SpeedYellow's comment. 3711 is my go to saison yeast. It never fails to get the beer down below 1.005. Maybe say a little more about your process. What's your recipe, mash temp (if all grain), and ferment temp?

EDIT - I see you answered the ferment temp above.

I'm drinking a rye saison I did with 3711 right now, and it finished at 1.002 (and is amazing due to the miracle that is 3711, in my opinion).

Checking my brew log I started this at 70 and let it rise from there. Two days later my temp reading was 81, and then 71 the day after that. Not sure if I was adding any heat to my ferm chamber or not (probably was as it was January) but still- I think this yeast likes some heat.

edit- I'm pretty sure I had read this thread before that brew, and I think my experience matches what kmos and sweetcell posted there:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wyeast-3711-temp-schedule-356452/

Although, some others there do mention using it successfully at lower temps, but the 2 I've done with it have both been higher and lovely

Back