Safety Lesson for Beginners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem is, you can’t always detect small fractures in glass, they aren’t always visible. So you could be lugging a carboy around loaded to fracture. Who want’s some of this?
F0160DD8-E826-4961-8F2E-5FCD4991F4B2.jpeg
E8EB5B4B-DFA7-4404-9BB0-F89B0D1AF466.jpeg
9995EB46-6290-4B84-83B6-5031C54253A3.jpeg

@Beermeister32, looks like that carboy went several rounds in the ring with you. Yikes.

I was a long-time glass carboy user. Hell, I probably even defended them on this site a time or two in the past. But I switched to stainless Brew Buckets a couple years ago, and gave away a lot of the carboys. I miss being able to see inside, but it's a small price to pay. I still have a few carboys but rarely use them--the occasional secondary for long-term aging. One is a 3 gallon I use for small batches of Apfelwein. All of them are in plastic milk crates. Even though they are the better-made Italian carboys, they still scare me a little bit, especially when I see pictures like those above. Any glass can break, and when you least expect it.

For me, the pucker factor is highest when washing them. Wet glass + slippery hands = a good chance for a mishap. I keep it in the milk crate while washing.

Those neck-mounted carrying handles are just asking for an accident. Throw them out. In fact, beat 'em with a hammer so someone doesn't find them and decide to use them.

Brew Haulers are not much better, as the OP discovered. It's all fun and games until the carboy slips out between the webbing.

And if you still insist on glass carboys, at least seek out the better ones (stamped "made in Italy" on the bottom). The cheap Chinese versions sold at a lot of places are scary-thin. I've seen pics of some where the glass was blown lopsided, 1/4" thick on one side and light bulb thin on the other.

I’m the same, I started with glass, I mean what could make cleaner beer than glass, right?

Those injuries are off the internet, luckily not mine.

Anyway, I need the functionality of my hands without sliced tendons and permanent damage. I can’t tell the flavor difference. On the plus side, the PET plastic carboys are nearly weightless and shave off much needed weight to have to lug around!

Last edited:
Damn, you crashed with both a strap and handle? This is like having seatbelt, airbag, weak spot on the frame to absorb the shocks but dying from a rock through the windshield.

You said it, Barbarossa! To be fair, I think I may have messed up the clip, but everyone's going to, once in a while. So lucky I got away with just loosing the beer and a hell of a grumpy night to cleaning up the floor, especially after hearing others' stories, eh?

lucky me, never had such incident...
gonna be careful with all the glass now

Up to you, spoink47, but even for us careful types, eventually something gets missed or a part fails. I’ve left the class behind: the risk isn’t worth it. (Great profile pic, btw!)

Stainless steel FTW!

Also, I'd seriously look into switching brewing location closer to where the fermentation location is. There are plenty of options out there these days for setting up a full brewing system inside without having to spend several hundred (or $1k+) dollhairs for steam removal.

What are the options? I have to redesign/relocate my brew space from stovetop to something else.

@GoodTruble There are setups from Spike, and others, with steam condensing lids that make it so that you're 100% safe (as in no sticky walls, mold growth, etc) to brew pretty much anywhere you want to. Go with an electric system (if you have an outlet that meets the needs, often not difficult, depending on what method you go with and such) and your location options are even greater. A single element system (or one where you only use one at a time) only needs a 30amp breaker feeding it. Depending on what controller you get (unless it comes with the system) is the outlet you'll need. I had a 50amp outlet (14-50 connection) installed when I got the panel from Electric Brewing Supply not that long ago. That means I have a single connection from the wall to the panel AND can double batch if/when I want to. Not sure if I'll do that where I live right now (renting) but it's an option. Plus, if the next renters have an electric vehicle, it might use that to charge with (not that I really give any F's).

Pardon the interruption
At one time I used glass carboys and still store Star San in 3 gallon versions.
I have found this to be the very best carrier options for glass. They also work for my Fermonster.
https://carboy.net/

Knowing you all are right and to error on the side of caution is the smart choice, this chipped 6 gallon carboy will be retired.
I have already purchased a 7 gal chronical and am looking at a 15 gal. The 7 gal plastic Speidel is only a back up, as I don't like plastic.
Now, let's hear any good ideas you might have for the chipped 6 gal glass carboy retirement party and next gig?
Danke und prost.
Do you happen to have a trebuchet?

Back