Quantcast

Safety Lesson for Beginners

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OP
Iowa Brewer

Iowa Brewer

Reaction score
Loss of beer is BAD...but (assuming here) you didn't end up with a ton of stitches or worse so there's a bright side based on other horror stories of broken glass carboys.
True that! First thing I did (after a few choice expletives) was check my femoral arteries. So many bad stories out there! Don't think I'm going back to glass

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ditto what Balrog said. But you must not be married. If I made a mess like that while brewing, my wife would see to it I wasn't here to tell the tale.
TOo funny! I was actually going to make some comment about how I really did not mean that I was worried about the broken glass getting him, as that would have been the **LEAST** of my concerns had I done that in my significant other's house (that's right, when I make a mess it is no longer my house).

MikeCrigger

Reaction score
1610743516557.png

I use two of these for 10 gallon batches. I put it under the carboys before transferring the wort into them. They protect the glass bottoms too from the cement in my garage. Then I move them to the fridge for fermentation, leaving the net underneath the whole time. Then they are already in place to move again. When they get too dirty, I just throw them in the washing machine. No buckles to break. Been using them for about 6 years now.

Edit: Glad you are safe, I have been in the E.R. from a brewing accident once, and now I double think everything that has potential to hurt me in brewing.

OP
Iowa Brewer

Iowa Brewer

Reaction score
View attachment 714509

I use two of these for 10 gallon batches. I put it under the carboys before transferring the wort into them. They protect the glass bottoms too from the cement in my garage. Then I move them to the fridge for fermentation, leaving the net underneath the whole time. Then they are already in place to move again. When they get too dirty, I just throw them in the washing machine. No buckles to break. Been using them for about 6 years now.

Edit: Glad you are safe, I have been in the E.R. from a brewing accident once, and now I double think everything that has potential to hurt me in brewing.
That looks like a great carboy carrier, Mike! And thanks! And so glad you pulled through your ER crises!

Alex4mula

Reaction score
View attachment 714509

I use two of these for 10 gallon batches. ...
Yeah I like those too because they do not have the plastic snap plug like the OP one. I use the same as OP and I'm always paranoid and check the snap clip like 5 times before moving. And when I do the move I carry it like 3" above ground most of the way. But each brew space is different. I worry more when I carry my hot sparge water pot from the stove 30' away (no stairs)...

Birrofilo

Reaction score
I don't know why in the US people use carboys without any kind of material around them.
Since the mists of time in Italy the dama, or damigiana, which is basically the glass carboy, is inserted into a protection which is now typically made in plastic, but when I was a child it was in wood or rope. You can use glass if you like it, just buy the right stuff. That also protects wine from light and variations of temperature.

Anyway in order to transport carboys or fermenter my back-saving strategy is to use a trolley, I use this one:

Raising the carboy to the trolley is easy and fast. Then you move the trolley around your house, and then you put it back where you need it. You can make your own by assembling the parts, it's not a complicated object but it is useful.

Last edited:

Miraculix

Reaction score
One thing I learned from here without going through it the hard way myself is NEVER EVER USE GLAS FERMENTERS.

Except for the occasional 1 gallon batch.... But as soon as there is serious weight involved, nope sir, no glass for me please. It can even crack on it's own without me doing anything stupid to it. You never know how many micro cracks are already inside from transportation or faults from production. Glass carboys, so much nope nope nope!!

OP
Iowa Brewer

Iowa Brewer

Reaction score
One thing I learned from here without going through it the hard way myself is NEVER EVER USE GLAS FERMENTERS.

Except for the occasional 1 gallon batch.... But as soon as there is serious weight involved, nope sir, no glass for me please. It can even crack on it's own without me doing anything stupid to it. You never know how many micro cracks are already inside from transportation or faults from production. Glass carboys, so much nope nope nope!!
Yeah, there's a lot of good ideas on here, but with my situation with stairs, Glas geht nicht mehr für mich!

bwible

Born to brew, forced to work
Reaction score
A beautiful 5.5gal of English ESB (OG 5.6) ended up on the floor last night.
Lesson to new brewers? Be sure to connect the straps correctly before carrying your carboy down the stairs.
The orange carboy “handle” in that first photo is pure crap. I owned a homebrew shop and I refused to sell them. Very bad idea. You can’t carry a carboy like that and put pressure on the neck of the carboy like that. I have heard many stories of carboy necks being snapped off. I know you had a strap device and were using that. I would advise anybody who owns one of these orange carboy handles to deposit it in the nearest trash can where it belongs.

OP
Iowa Brewer

Iowa Brewer

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss and no glass for me either, way too scary. A bucket is nice, it has a handle, wide mouth and when it gets too old you just replace it with another cheap bucket.
Loads of truth in that, Transamguy77!

OP
Iowa Brewer

Iowa Brewer

Reaction score
RIP ESB!! I've always used plastic carboys because I could get them for free at work, after seeing your post, I'm glad I don't have glass. Thanks!
Hear, hear! I always have to transfer from my brewing operation on the main floor to my fermenters in the basement, so I'm switching to plastic, myself!