Safeale S-33 - Wyeast 1214

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointcity-homebrew

Crafting openers 1 at a time
Reaction score
I am buying ingredients for a few different batches, 1 gallon. The company I am ordering is out of Safeale S-33 and does not carry the WL WLP-006 that is suggested. However I see they carry Wyeast 1214 which is a Belgian Ale, from what I have read that is what S-33 is(?)

My question is will the 1214 be a good substitute for the S-33? Also, the recipe calls for .5 package of the S-33 per 1 gallon batch. Would the same follow for liquid yeast? Once activated could I store half of it or should I brew both batches and use the package once activated?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. The beers will be an Eggnog Stout and a coffee Doughnut Stout.

Thanks for the advice.

S-33 is the British EDME strain. It's not Belgian at all. It has good alcohol tolerance, so some use it for that reason.

For the two beers you mention, a Belgian strain is going to be weird. Stick to clean/simple/neutral. A half packet of US-05, Nottingham, or S-04 would be a better match.

Clean and neutral all the way on those two brews. Stick to Dr. Francois's advice. The 1214 is the Chimay strain and is very fruity. Ferment in the low 60's for optimal malt/hop/adjunct profiles.

Excellent, Thanks fr the quick response. I misread the S-33 description, at least that's the story I am sticking to :drunk: .
I am buying Nottingham already for a Gingerbread Ale so I will just double that order and safe a few bucks.

Back