safe to leave?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelero

Reaction score
i have a question: I am going out of town soon, but i don't want to have to wait until I get back to start my next brew. if i brew next week, and get her into primary, once the initial vigorous "blowoff hose" fermentation has subsided, and a regular airlock is affixed, can i go off and leave it for about a week? by the time I leave, it will have had 2 wks in primary, so it should just be coolly resting and minding its own business, right? i should not have anything to worry about, correct? it's going to be a porter. also, any cool places to check out in chicago for beer are welcomed!:mug:
thanks!
c

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Very stable after those first few days

It's actually not just going to be sitting there inert, the yeasts will actually have the opportunity to clean up the by products of fermentation. That's why many of us leave our beers in Primary for 3-4 weeks instead of a secondary...We have found our beer is vastly improved when we do that.

yes, i did not mean to imply that it would not be working. i certainly have learned from this site the value of waiting. i only was concerned about going off and leaving it unsupervised for a week-only thinking of my nice wooden floor in my closet! just wanted to reassure myself that there would be no weird, out of the blue vigorous activity(under other circumstances, I'm always a fan of the aforementioned!), while noone's home to mop it up! thanks for the help-I'll probably brew on tues!!! any recommendations on where to sample brews in chi-town??

Back