Safe to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsmith80

Reaction score
Hey guys, I started brewing a batch of Caribou Slobber 11 days ago. Being new to home brewing and not paying attention I put my carbon in an environment that was about 78 degrees. (well above ideal, I know) The majority of fermentation was finished in about 48 hours and over the next 48 hours bubbles stopped moving through the airlock altogether as far as I could tell. I moved to secondary after a week just because. Since I moved to secondary there have been no bubbles at all. Is it safe to bottle now? I figure because it's in such a warm environment the whole process was exponentially faster. I tested it with a hydrometer when I moved to secondary and it's at 5.5% abv. Tastes decent too, just sorta weird haha. PLEASE HELP I DINT WANT BOTTLE BOMBS!!!

hsmith80 said:
Hey guys, I started brewing a batch of Caribou Slobber 11 days ago. Being new to home brewing and not paying attention I put my carbon in an environment that was about 78 degrees. (well above ideal, I know) The majority of fermentation was finished in about 48 hours and over the next 48 hours bubbles stopped moving through the airlock altogether as far as I could tell. I moved to secondary after a week just because. Since I moved to secondary there have been no bubbles at all. Is it safe to bottle now? I figure because it's in such a warm environment the whole process was exponentially faster. I tested it with a hydrometer when I moved to secondary and it's at 5.5% abv. Tastes decent too, just sorta weird haha. PLEASE HELP I DINT WANT BOTTLE BOMBS!!!

I usually move to secondary after 5-6 days and usually don't see much bubbles in secondary. Secondary is mainly for clarifying so as long as your hydrometer readings are in range you should be good to go. Taste may better with age and carbonation of course.

Take hydrometer readings over 3 consecutive days. If it's the same, you can bottle. However, (I know its hard), I would let the beer just sit in the secondary another week. Your beer will thank you for it. Eventually you may want to try just skipping the secondary all together and just do a 3 week primary. Oh, and ignore the bubbles. They mean nothing. Your hydrometer is your friend.

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm gonna let it sit for at least a few more days. I was just wondering do you think the clarifying process would be sped up since the whole fermentation was?

I was just wondering do you think the clarifying process would be sped up since the whole fermentation was?

Maybe a bit, but not really. If you're really concerned about clear beer, you could always cold crash it.

Me, I'd just leave it for another week and follow all of Hammy's other excellent advice.

Latest posts

Back