Safbrew WB-06 Hulking Out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talgrath

Reaction score
So, for a couple of years now I've used Safbrew WB-06 wheat yeast to make my hefeweizen beers, it's a great wheat yeast and comes out pretty tasty. Being a wheat beer yeast, it usually has a pretty active fermentation, and despite the low OG of the beers I use a blowoff tube just in case. For my last batch of hefeweizen however, WB-06 absolutely hulked out, spurted krausen into my blowoff bucket at a pretty decent clip, after fermentation, when I added some corn sugar for priming it had already foamed significantly on the top of the bottling bucket. The hefeweizen also was significantly cloudier than normal. I fermented at the usual temperatures and in the usual spots and there were no signs of infection either. The FG was correct, though when I cracked one open last night it tasted a bit of "hot" alcohol. I thought that maybe this was just a one-off thing, maybe I had made a more aggressively fermentable wort than normal, but my first attempt at a Rogenweizen has gotten off to a similarly aggressive start, has anyone been seeing this with their packets of WB-06 too? I'm wondering if maybe the latest batch was a little too aggressive.

I've used it a few times and it's usually pretty calm. I find it finishes very dry, will drop very clear with time and has more belgian character than hefe. Never had any alcohol flavors or needed a blow off.

My last extract batch was a hefe with this yeast however, I didn't have aggressive fermentation. I also used a blow off tube and it never made it into it.

I did have hot alcohol taste though and even almost 3 weeks into bottle conditioning it hasn't gotten much better.

Don't use my take for stats though as it was my first ever brew and I think it had to do with being pitched too warm even though the rest of fermentation was controlled in a chest freezer at 64-66 F.

Back