Safbrew T-58

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
**Update**

The Wit I am brewing is now 4.5 days in the fermenter. I took a hydro sample today and I am already down to 1.013, just shy of my target FG at 1.012.

I'm going to leave it in primary for a full 2 weeks before bottling, so I'm sure whittle off another .001. I read that the yeast doesn't attenuate well, but I am already at 73%, albeit I started with tame OG of 1.048. Still, I am quite happy with its performance so far.

Cheers!
Kevin

(The information is also posted in my thread about T-58's fermentation)

Keep us updated, any progress on the flavor?

As for my wheat ale with the very high ferment temps, I bottled it on March 6th. I fermented in high 70s low 80s then cold conditioned for 2+ weeks in the high 20s. At bottling I was watching for alcohols and got very little in my 5.9% abv malty wheat bier. It's slightly less banana/bubble gum than first reported with the hydro sample, with more balanced spice & clove coming through. I'm VERY pleased with my wheat and think it would be a dead ringer for a Paulaners if I had the correct 55/45 wheat-base ratio and fermented in the mid 70s. Solid weizen yeast with enough flexibility to probably work with lighter belgian/wit biers. I'll be using again soon, am even doing an experimental brown ale with it this weekend.

Schlante,
Phillip

Had another of mine last night. Its sort of a sweet amber/brown Belgian ale ("Rare Fox" in my signature). I'm getting lots of banana in the nose and tons of juicy, pleasant flavors.

As others are stating, I am starting to think that this is going to be better for Hefeweizen or Wit-style beers than for Belgians. Maybe ferment it a little cooler for Belgians to keep the banana down a little.

After being disappointed with WB-06, I am really happy to have a dry yeast that can make good Belgian/Weizen beer!

MVKTR2: I pulled a new sample the night before last and am down to 1.010, putting my attentuation around 78-79%. I was getting more fruit in this new sample, but still more pineapple than banana.

For what it's worth, I pitched around 80*(F), let it drop to around 70* and then naturally ramp back up to around 75*. After fermentation slowed (day 3 or so), I let the temp naturally drop instead of forcing it. It is in the 60-64* range currently. I was attempting to avoid the clove taste and I think this process achieved that.

The hydro sample tasted very good; wheat forward with the spices building at the end of the taste. Not quite as peppery as I hoped, but I'll probably still try this yeast on a Saison next.

I plan to bottle tomorrow night, I check back in when I crack the first one open in a few weeks.

Cheers!
Kevin

I cracked open on of my Wits tonight. Yeah, only 4 days in the bottle, I know.

My friend had a 6-er of Mothership Wit so we could compare. I wasn't attempting a clone, but my Wit is tasting damn close to New Belgium's brew. Mine has a slightly richer spice profile while Mothership has a more peppery finish.

Cheers!
Kevin

I use T-58 to bottle most of my Belgian style beers. With a low temperature threshold, high alcholol tolerence and highly flocculative properties it makes bottling to easy.

BW

I use T-58 to bottle most of my Belgian style beers. With a low temperature threshold, high alcholol tolerence and highly flocculative properties it makes bottling to easy.

BW

I want to do the same with a Tripel I'm going to brew. I plan on crash cooling it with gelatin, then adding a little T-58 to the bottling bucket. I love my belgians, just not the gunk I always get in the bottom of the bottle.

I used T-58 for what started as a high-gravity Spiced Baltic Porter, figuring the yeast character might complement everything else I added. Pitched at 68 F, hit 82 F within a few hours. After 10 days, I actually came in *under* my expected FG by a few points. It cleared the beer like nothing I've seen before, but still carbonated very quickly in the bottles (thick, persistent head after only a week). Definitely tastes more Belgian than I expected it to.

I'll have to try the T-58 again in a simpler beer, but this yeast really impressed me the first time.

Ive often wondered about half pitching, or mixing yeasts to cure that over Belgian taste.
say 11g -05 and 5g T-58 for clean up??

Ive often wondered about half pitching, or mixing yeasts to cure that over Belgian taste.
say 11g -05 and 5g T-58 for clean up??

I love wyeast 3787 because it's not overly fruity, and has a nice phenol bite to it. Ferment it cool (68ish and lower) and it will be pretty clean.

Just curious, why brew belgian-styles if you don't like the yeast? You can use whatever yeast you don't like the yeast character. Brew it with all US-05, it won't be a bad beer.

T-58 update time. I brewed a small batch parti-gyle and pitched T-58 slurry into the bigger bier. Fermented this bier at 64-68 F. This was a 1.093 OG brown ale with a basic grain bill IIRC of Marris Otter, Crystal, Pale Choc., Choc., & flaked wheat. Bittering & flavor hop additions were Willamette. At less than 2 months old this bier is SUPER good, super smooth. WOW I'm just blown away. Best I can describe it is that it taste like 1/3 Chimay & 2/3 Am. Brown ale. It's got a mild fruitiness with an even milder spice, sort of British in character. Maybe with a sample in front of me I could describe it better but this'll have to do.

Schlante,
Phillip

I just made a house recipe for a Wit with T-58 a guy gave me as an upgrade. Though he didn't note which yeast he was going to give me if he didn't upgrade me so I am just running with it. What the hay, right? What could be the harm in having an extra unique strain around.

Wirror Bittering hops
Wheat Spray Extract - 4Lbs
Belgian Light Candi sugar - 1lb
Granulated white sugar - 2 cups - because I wanted to experiment
Bitter orange peel - .5 oz @ last 5 min
Crushed Coriander - .5 oz @ last 5 min

I made a 5 gal batch and the OG is at 1.055 now. I rehydrated the T-58 in 2 cups of water and pitched it into the wort while mixing slowly. We'll see how she turns out. I'm going to try to maintain the fermenting temps @ 68*F for this round.

I can't wait to see how it goes!

Edit.

Whao this yeast produces the most pure white krousen I've ever seen! It's so fluffy and large while being ghost white too! I'm pretty sure it's not only due to the ingredients, but as a result of the strain's coloration or secondary metabolite. Also to mention fermentation activity showed through the airlock within 8 hour of pitching!

Wanted to throw out that I have another batch fermenting with this yeast, this time it's more Belgianesque. Basically a Belg. Pale Ale with 1 oz. fresh orange peel & 8 oz. homemade candi sugar added at 10 mins till end of boil.

Important thing is that I'm doing an open fermentation, I left the lid off for about 36 hours, basically high krauzen. I also top cropped the yeast during that time. Should be interesting & I'll update when tasting at kegging.

I'm getting ready to bottle my belgian wit that i used t-58 on. I've heard other people saying it would make a good hefe yeast. This yeast is definetly belgian(nothing like a hefe yeast IMO). Fermented low around 62 for a week, then it seemed to poop out. Started giving the fermenter a gentle swirl a couple of times a day and it started back up. O.G. 1.052 F.G. 1.010. This batch aint gonna last long.:rockin:

Will use T-58 for a basic Wheat next week. I'm brewing this for my girlfriend, and I want some subtle esters instead of just crazy clean attenuation that US-05 would give me. She loves the Canadian Belgian inspired White Beers, not so much the original Witbiers. Basically, I want something refreshing, citrusy and malty without coriander.

How high should I ferment if I want to avoid clove ? Banana and bubblegum would be fine in small quantities as they fade over time, but I still need for this to be ready in two months tops. I was thinking about starting at 68-70 and trying to keep it there.

I fermented around 62 and didn't get any clove. The lower you go the spicier it gets(so i've read). I really doubt you will get any clove out of this yeast(At least not like wlp300). I'd say starting around the 66-68 and letting it ramp up gradually should get you the bubblegum/banana your looking for.

Here's one I brewed back on Dec. 18th
http://hopville.com/recipe/427180/belgian-pale-ale-recipes/smooth-belgianator

It was mashed at 153 for 60 minutes and sparged in 170F for 15 (following Deathbrewer's partial mash method on HBT)

OG. - 1.051 (lost a few from topping off too much.)

I re-hydrated and pitched two sachets of T-58 into a pretty well aerated wort (lot of sloshing back and forth for about five minutes, before pitching). Wort temp was about 64F. 2.5 hours later I had fermentation action! :rockin:

The temp had risen to about 68F and I let it do it's thing over night. The next morning I decided to put the brew belt on the bucket and that brought the temperature up to about 78F-80F (according to the fermometer) So, maybe a 85F inside temp? I left the brew belt on for four or five more days and then took it off and let it sit in the primary for seven more.

I usually usually keep the beer in the fermenter for a full three weeks, but decided to go ahead and rack it to the keg. FG. - 1.012

At day three of force carbin', I pulled off a few pints (first few sucked from pulling up what had fell out, bitter and somewhat bland). My wife and I had a couple the next night and it was really, really tasty! Nice subtle pepper, semi-spicy and a little fruity in the taste. More malty in the aroma and a little dank. This is an extremely interesting beer! Like a belgian pale/hefe hybrid. :)

Next, using the same techniques, I'm going to brew this modified version: http://hopville.com/recipe/459851/saison-recipes/belgianator-ii
Sorry for the novel; I like to be thorough.
Any thoughts?

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite yeast strains, after using it to develop my house summer beer:

50% Belgian Pils, 50% flaked wheat
Mash at 147
25 IBU worth of Cascade at 15 min.
OG 1.047, FG 1.006, no temp control for fermentation.

Clear, dry, extraordinarily quaffable. Except for the presence of hops, it could be a macro.

This yeast is a beast--it'll do most of the work for you.

Only other factors are doing a longer mash and mashing at a lower temperature (<150 F). On one of the earlier batches of that beer, I ended up at 1.004, and I think that was a 90 min mash at 145.

This yeast is a beast--it'll do most of the work for you.

Only other factors are doing a longer mash and mashing at a lower temperature (<150 F). On one of the earlier batches of that beer, I ended up at 1.004, and I think that was a 90 min mash at 145.
Going to try to do this for the one I'm brewing tomorrow. Like BBQ "Low and slow" heh.

I absolutely agree about this yeast's attenuation. Just try to stop it! It sometimes takes a while for me to finish up, but it chews through pretty well.

I did a 3 gallon Golden Strong Ale, all 2 row, mashed @154, sg 1.071, fermented @ 70deg, ripped for 3 days, then I added 1 lb inverted sugar for an additional .015 points, 3 days after that I had 1.010.:ban: That puts this @ 10% ABV. Sample; nice fruit, and a little spice, some banana, and of course boozy at this point. I had a corriander addition in this, that I think played very well. This yeast was a few ounces that I had saved from a very tasty belgian white yeast cake from a couple weeks earlier. T-58 is a nice yeast when you want some estery character, and to do its thing in 6 days flat, you gotta like that. This is going to be a tough beer to let sit for a couple months!

I have what is basically a Belgian Amber fermenting now in the low 60's. Fermentation started within hours (pitched at night, and was bubbling away by 6am next morning). I'm going to keep the fermentation temp low for this one.

Here's the recipe:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Bald Ledge Belgian Ale
Brewer: Big Slap Brewing Co.
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Specialty Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.63 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 16.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 84.51 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.69 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.69 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.69 %
0.15 lb Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 1.41 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 30.2 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (2 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
3.00 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
8.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL Yeast #T-58) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: No-Sparge, Medium Body, Mash-Out
Total Grain Weight: 10.65 lb
----------------------------
No-Sparge, Medium Body, Mash-Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 34.15 qt of water at 156.5 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 0.00 qt of water at 168.0 F 168.0 F

Notes:
------
No-Chill Hop Adjustment:
1 oz. Northern Brewer -40
1 oz. Saaz Dry Hop

I'm giving this yeast a go this weekend on a Belgian Honey Blonde. I usually use liquid for most of my beers but was unable to do a starter this week and I got a packet of this for free, so here goes. I read some other threads on T-58 that left a lot to be desired for any true Belgian-y characteristics, so I'm glad to see in this thread that you guys are having better results. My plan is to pitch at 68deg and let fermentation get up into the 70s but finish no higher than 75. I wanna see what this yeast can do. I will post along the process.

I used it on a Belgian pale ale that is one month old today, and not totally carbed yet. Here's the recipe:

10 lbs pils
.75 lb caramunich
.125 lb victory
1.5 oz EKG @ 60
1 oz saaz @ 5
a tiny bit of homegrown cascade at flameout for kicks

Mash at 151, ferment at 66

Tasted it today...it's great. To me T-58 tastes quite distinctly Belgian, but somewhere in the middle of the liquid Belgian strains. It's kind of funky, not really fruity, not really phenolic, and not really biting. I like it. It's got presence, but it's not in your face.

My next test for t-58 will be a Belgian stout. Here's the recipe:

11 lbs pils
1 lb roasted barley
.5 lb chocolate
.5 lb special b
2 oz EKG @ 60

I'm using T-58 on a hybrid sour beer(acid malt and pils malt). The yeast hasn't flocculated yet, but it has only been fermenting for 10 days. OG was 1.062, FG is 1.022. It has really good flavor -- light spicy pepper, banana, and hand of buddha zest. I pretty impressed with the yeast flavor, it works very well with the sour from the malt. I'm "dry zesting" with an oz of hand of buddha zest for a couple weeks. I pitched at 65F and let it raise up to 72 in it own.

I'm planning a partial mash rye beer with T-58...I'd love feedback from those who've tried T-58.

1.045 OG
25 IBU
.59 BU:GU

4 lbs Briess Pilsen XL-DME
2 lbs Rye Malt
1 lb Flaked Rye

1 oz Palisade @30
.5 oz Palisade @15
.5 oz Palisade @5

T-58 @ 64 until FG reached

Thoughts?

I am drinking a wit style beer with little to no peppery flavor, mostly just some familiar banana/clove flavor. I poured 4 gallons of this in about two weeks, going to be making another with this yeast soon.....

I use t-58 for my wit, ferment at 58-59deg. Always turns out great. I get some peppery flavor that low, and not as much banana.

I pitched T58 in december.
Was 1.095 for 3 gallons so I cut it to 4 gallons to get 1.074 8 weeks later at 65 degrees F its 1.020 I feel confident this will turn out well, but I usually do belgians in the summer for winter drinking, where i am able to finish primary around mid 80's in temps.
Q: what are the major/minor differences I can expect from a longer low temp primary and 2nd, vs the high temp finish?
Note
I added orange peels and oak chips at weeks 6-8 and then racked to the secondary, im really stoked at the flavors and floral aromas coming thru.

I fermented my wit at around 64 degrees, og was in the neighborhood of 1.055, fg unknown but was finished (I assume after a month, then kegged and lagered for few weeks), DELICIOUS! I have one big serving left that I am saving for friday afternoon after work. Someone earlier mentioned that they found this yeast middle of the road, and not too in your face in regards to phenols esters funkiness, and I would have to agree, a pretty good yeast, I could see this as my go to yeast much like how us-05 is my go to yeast in its respective style...

I just bottled a belgian wit that used T-58. Very fast fermentation start. I kept temps around 65 during fermentation. At bottling it had a very nice banana bread aroma and an interesting peppery taste. The beer also had a mild sourness to it. Fermentis's website says it has Lactobacillus <1/ml. I'm guessing it's from that. Has anyone else noticed that? I'm looking forward to seeing how the flavors change as it bottle conditions.

This is in reply to beerandcoding from page 4....OK - Long shot since it's 2 years later, but how did this beer turn out? I am about to brew almost the same thing this weekend, just different hops.

Thanks!

I brewed my Rye Saison last Friday with T-58. I re-hydrated in a bottle of warmed spring water (80F) for one hour during the boil. Fermentation started within hours...I'm used to 1-2 days lag with other Fermentis products.

I fermented at a restrained 64F...I'd like a bit of yeast character, but nothing too funky. Hot Belgian fermentations tend to leave me with bad headaches.

I just bottled a Belgian dark strong ale last night that used T58 and S33. When I cracked the fermenter open, my wife came in and said she smelled banana bread. It was a very strong estery aroma. I think it is due to the fact that I let it ferment at room temperature of 68, so during fermentation the beer probably got up close to 75. I am hoping that 6 months or so in the bottles will mellow that flavor a bit.

I do have to say that the yeast did their job well though, OG of 1.106, FG of 1.020, for a total of 81% attenuated. Even before smelling the banana, I planned to let this one age for a while because it's such a big beer, so they will be sitting in the corner of my closet until this fall. What are the odds that the ester profile will mellow significantly over that time?

The answer may be elsewhere in this thread, but I can't look right now.

Is this yeast known to stall at 1.020 ?

I'm excited to give this yeast a shot with an upcoming Wit. I want to minimize the banana as much as possible (it's an ester I'm hypersensitive to, and generally don't care for) and express the spicy notes.

If i am understanding the above correctly, I should be shooting for high 50s for ferment to achieve that character. Sound correct?

I just used this yeast in a recipe I made up and fermented at 67. Very light esters. I think you should be able to escape strong banana ester if you stay around that number.

Back