Safbrew T-58

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used T-58 in a wheat beer, fermented in the summer with no temperature control. Maybe I just got lucky, but it was one of my best beers ever. Fruity and spicy (the spice might have been from the Saaz hops) and not too much banana.

I tried it again in an imperial porter (got the roasted grains order screwed up; it was really more of a stout) that I fermented in the winter, and that one stalled at a fairly high gravity and tasted really sweet. After aging in the bottles for a year, it was really good if I drank it cold. (just finished the last bottle yesterday)

Because that wheat beer turned out so well, I'll use it again but not sure in what. Can't beat it for $2 a packet.

I brewed once with it and got lots of banana and bubble gum without any spice. Not what I was expecting but perhaps it was due to some other variable. I am curious as to your experience, please keep updated...
What was your pitch rate and your temperature

I'm planning an American honey wheat beer and I have some T-58 on hand. My inclination would be to go buy another strain for this and use the T-58 in a German wheat or Belgian. But it's what I got. My question for the folks who have used this strain: do you think T-58 in the following recipe would result in a weird clash of flavors?

American Honey Wheat (1.050, 27 IBU)
44% White wheat malt
44% Pils
2% Honey malt
10% Raw honey (fermentor)
Azacca @ 60, 10 & 2
T-58 yeast

I've personally only had poor results with this yeast, but mainly in the sense of Belgian yeast. It tasted like poorly attenuated Saison to me on my first attempt and had no discernable flavour the second time I tried it. I have tried other people's brews with this yeast that were more Belgian in character, so it could be a hit if that's what you're looking for. However, given your ingredients I would opt for neutral yeast. This way you can let the honey and hops do their thing without getting yeast character in the way. If you can get the Saison character it might work, but I don't really know how to push the yeast in that direction. My guess would be fermenting colder as that is what I did the first time.

I've personally only had poor results with this yeast, but mainly in the sense of Belgian yeast. It tasted like poorly attenuated Saison to me on my first attempt and had no discernable flavour the second time I tried it. I have tried other people's brews with this yeast that were more Belgian in character, so it could be a hit if that's what you're looking for. However, given your ingredients I would opt for neutral yeast. This way you can let the honey and hops do their thing without getting yeast character in the way. If you can get the Saison character it might work, but I don't really know how to push the yeast in that direction. My guess would be fermenting colder as that is what I did the first time.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree. I think I'll go with K-97.

Back