Safbrew abbaye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuisLozano13

Reaction score
Hi! I'm thinking of brewing a tripel and a dubbel and there's this new yeast from fermentis safbrew abbaye, what do you thing of this yeast? Has anyone tried it? Should I use this yeast or should I just use wlp500 traditional Trappist white labs yeast?

Interested in this yeast as well, have always wanted a dried good Belgian yeast. Online seems to be $6 which hopefully will come down in price.

I'd say go for it and let us know how it goes.

I saw that the other day. It is so new I doubt that anyone has fermented a brew with it yet.

It would be nice to have a dry option for Belgians.

Never heard of it. Sounds like a good experiment to me. I always do split batches anyway. If I can get a hold of some in 3 days I will brew with it on Sunday. Good to know about this. Thanks!

Yeah this is the first I'm hearing of this yeast. That would be awesome if it has a good Belgian flavor profile. If I see it at my LHBS I'll definitely pick some up and brew with it when I can.

After searching the internet I found little information on this new yeast, but some brazilian tested it and found it similar to S33 (tasting wort, not finished beer). Link to the brazilian forum. Other american, dutch and german forums had a few posts informing of the availability of the new yeast but no beer made with it yet.

BTW Danstar/Lallemand will release a new yeast with the same name, Abbaye Belgian Ale Yeast: http://lalvin.danstaryeast.com/company/products/abbaye-belgian-ale-yeast

I am hoping the same. S-33 and T-58 are lacking IMO.

I am going to make a light amber wort and load my homegrown hops at the end. I have no idea what the IBUs might be like but, I am guessing in the mid 20s. I am going to mash around 152F. I will split the batch with US-05 and abbaye. Should come out as a hoppy dubbel and a light amber. Hopefully...

I am going to make a light amber wort and load my homegrown hops at the end. I have no idea what the IBUs might be like but, I am guessing in the mid 20s. I am going to mash around 152F. I will split the batch with US-05 and abbaye. Should come out as a hoppy dubbel and a light amber. Hopefully...

Have you tried mixing both, S-33 and T-58, to get a better "belgian flavour". On a french brewing forum "everyone" seems to be doing it. I'm pretty new so It is on my to do list.

Please update when you have the results on the abbaye.

interested as well. The only dry belgian strain I like so far is Belle Saison. At first i figured it was going to be Fermentis' version of Belle Saison, but after seeing Danstar is releasing Abbaye too i have hopes for a fruitier wlp500-like strain. fingers crossed!

Pelase comment the results! I'm brewing a tripel and a dubbel and then split the batches and ferment with wlp500 and abbaye I'll tell you guys how it turned out

I just pitched in. Came from Brooklyn homebrew with a swedish fish! Not sure why. I will report back with results as I get them.

Start up was faster than US-05. Had a nice krausen and good airlock activity within 8 hrs. Seems to be kicking off bubblegum and banana esters so far. I will have to get a good hydro sample before confirming.

I pitched at about 60F. Then I insulated and let it free rise. Went higher than I anticipated. Spiked at 74F ambient inside its box. I removed the blanket to cool it off. Ambient should drop to 70 by the time I am home.

This thing is going crazy! I cannot keep the temps down to save my life. It is up to 78F. I even threw a bunch of ice on it. The krausen dropped sometime earlier today. The top is moving around like it is ready to start boiling. The top is swirling around at a rapid pace. Never seen a fermentation like it. Then again, every fermentation is like a snow flake. :D

The brew room smells like banana bread. Has a great spicy, banana thing going on. Right now the smell reminds me of WLP500 but, I don't have that much experience with trappist or traditional Belgian strains. Hoping this yeast is legitimate. More updates to come in a few days.

Thanks for the updates, I'm interested in checking this yeast out

Pitched some last night in a Belgian Dark Strong Ale around 10pm, took off like a beast by the time I checked it this morning.
No swedish fish for me from the lhbs.

Fermentation wound way down yesterday. It seems to be finishing faster than the US-05. Took a hydro sample to compare to later. I am seeing 83.6% attenuation so far but, I think it might have another point or so to drop.

Woah! This thing is a acetaldehyde bomb! So much apple and pear notes so far. It is actually pretty good already and blends nicely with its vinous character. It still has a bit to clean itself up though. Little bit of sulphur but, not as much as some saison yeasts. Overall, it seems to be coming along nicely.

Would you say this is more of a farmhouse style Belgian yeast? I'm hoping not Belle fits that bill fine.

Would you say this is more of a farmhouse style Belgian yeast? I'm hoping not Belle fits that bill fine.

No, it seems more of a traditional Belgian style yeast. It's still too early but, I don't notice any funky or earthy flavors/aromas.

Picked up a pack of this for $3 at our local hbs. Going to brew up a smallish beer with hull mellon hops. Hopefully it'll be a good pair.

This thing is going crazy! I cannot keep the temps down to save my life. It is up to 78F. I even threw a bunch of ice on it.
Letting Belgians "free rise" is the way to go. Having them in a shallow pool of water to slow, but not completely hinder, the temperature rise is ideal. Throwing ice on it after it has risen will drop the temp, stress the yeast in a bad way, and cause activity to drop. Not good, as Belgians are meant to ferment out as much as possible. 78 is a perfect temp for a Belgian to peak at IMO.

I am very excited to use this yeast though. I wonder if we can figure out what WL or Wyeast strains it is? It's probably one that already exists...

Guys, I've used this yeast strain here in Brazil.
The fermentation was electronic controlled under 18c in the first 3 days, then raised to 21c, 1c a day.

After 3 weeks in the fermentation bucket, lagered some days and then applied gelatine, because it was pretty powdered.

I didn't liked the taste it gives, really close as S-33, too much sulfuric and strange flavors. I'll not use this yeast again. I've used this yeast to brew a Dubbel, all grain.

It attenuates like a monster, but generate a lot of off flavors in the beer.

Strange flavors is definitely the way I would describe it. Also, to clarify, I threw enough ice on it to maintain it at 76F not to crash it in the middle of fermentation. The recommended range for this yeast is like 68F.

I wrecked my palate last night trying to figure out how many datil peppers to add to my amber. Hint: 1 per glass is too much. :p

It was hard for me to really pin down the flavors because of my numbed tongue but, it is becoming odd. Acetaldehyde has cleaned up a lot. Phenols are starting to come into play. Peppery with almost a cinnamon bite. Some apples and pears still present. Hints of bubblegum. Sharp fusel character. Everything hasn't meshed yet but, it was odd even still. I am sitting at 1.006 now. So, yes, it has great attenuation. I will bottle in maybe 2 weeks.

I still have high hopes but, we will see.

Pitched two packets into 10 gals of OG 1.069 October Ale at 16.5 C 2 days ago. Took off like a rocket and this morning I see that it's lifted the lids on my two plastic fermenters in my fermentation chambers and made a bit of a mess - note to self "blow off tubes".

Have not tasted yet but at least we know this baby kicks serious butt in the fermentation stakes !

Brewed a 10 gallon Farmhouse Ale this afternoon. Decided to split the batch and use this yeast in half of it. Fermenting in the 64 degree garage, it took of incredibly fast! Within a few hours. I'm really curious to see how this turns out!

New update. Tasted another sample last night. Most off flavors are tailing off. Fusel is still there but, should work with age. Gravity is stable at 1.006. That is 87.7% attenuation. As a recap, it started and finished faster than US-05 and attenuated about 10% further.

Overall, I am really starting to like this yeast. It is nothing like the phenol bomb that T-58 is. S-33 is EDME strain so, it is also not like that either.

Comes through with nice banana and bubblegum. Not as intense as a hefe but, nice. Good cinnamon spiciness, apples, and pears in the background. OK glycerol production so far. It seems to be a much more restrained Belgian.

I am excited to get it bottled to release some more aromatics. Going to bottle as soon as I get enough bottles available. I have about 35 of the 45 needed.

Happy to hear that things are smoothing out Osedex.

I tasted my batch at 3 days and it was well "interesting" ! Nothing like I have experienced before. Sort of weird "old" flavours brightened with a bit of fruit.

Anyway, I'm not a very good describer of taste but I have high hopes for this yeast - I think time will be the key. Also think this will be the yeast for very big beers and possibly stouts or imperial stouts where the grains dictate most of the flavour.

Lets keep the updates coming.

I was really hoping this would just be a dry version of a known yeast, and not a new individual/blend which it is sounding like. Howevwr it's nice to hear the low lag time and strong start fermentation sounds like it comes with lots of nutrition or reserves already.

Interested in how it goes with session ales, meads, and ciders as belgian ale yeasts were sometimes used for those as well.

It very well might be a strain of something known. I don't have the experience with liquid yeast to say or not.

I am going to hopefully bottle it this weekend. I may even get a corker and belgian bottles. I think I might use those for my brett saison though. Decisions...

Just tasted a sample of my Octoberfest Ale brewed with Abbaye before it went into the cold crasher.

Just to recap ir started off quickly (within 8 hours) and raced away like a steam train lifting the lids of my plastic bucket fermenters.
With starting gravity of 1.069 it settled at 1.012 some 14 days later.

The taste, which i initially described as "Old favours brighten with some fruity have mellowed so the "old" has disappeared and the fruit remained. There quite a good "alcohol" hotness but not overwhelming. Note I'm not an expert at flavour description.

Overall I'm pleased. Would have liked to test it side by side with some 05 or Notties which are my normal go to yeasts.

I'll get back to you when it's carbed up in the bottle in about 2 to 3 weeks time.

Brewed a beer using this yeast yesterday, here is the grain bill.

8# German Pilsner
2# White Wheat Malt
1# 8oz Munich Malt
4oz Dark Munich
1oz Horizon @ 60 minute
1oz Hull Mellon @10 minute
1oz Hull Mellon @ 5 minute
2oz Hull Mellon 5 Day DH

148F Mash temp.

Might rack off a gallon or so and secondary ferment it with Brett. trios.

Back