Safale US-05 yeast for IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree55Topz

Reaction score
Planning on pitching 7.5g of this stuff for an IPA im brewing using a variety of hops. Bad idea, or good?:drunk:

Yes, if do a minimum of searching you will see that this is probably the most popular yeast used for hoppy American ales... It will ferment clean and neutral at the proper temperature.

But on a different subject, why are you using 7.5 g and not the whole 11.5 g sachet?

us-05 works great on IPAs, from my experience. But, how do you know you only want to use 7.5g? did you use a yeast pitch calculator for dry yeast?

Awesome, thanks everyone! And I used a yeast calculator that gave me a 7.5 - 8g yeast result. Maybe I underestimated my OG... would 11.5g be a good amt?

i'm one of many, many people that use US-05 as my go-to IPA yeast. in fact, i can't honestly remember if i've ever used anything other than the Chico strain (US-05, WLP001, or Wyeast 1056).

Awesome, thanks everyone! And I used a yeast calculator that gave me a 7.5 - 8g yeast result. Maybe I underestimated my OG... would 11.5g be a good amt?
what is your projected OG, and what is your post-boil volume?

feel free to post your recipe, that's always helpful.

Just throw in the whole packet. Unless you plan on doing a two-gallon batch of 1.035 beer, your yeast calculator is never gonna tell you "just use that stale third of a packet of US-05 that's been sitting in the back of your fridge for four months," and you're not in any danger of over-pitching.

Use 1 million cells per ml per degree plato, properly rehydrated as per manufacturer's product sheet instructions.

Yes, US-05 is a good strain to use--just use the right amount and take good care of your yeast.

I have this yeast in the fridge at all times. I pitch 2 packs per 6.5 gall, better heavy than light.

I pitch 2 packs per 6.5 gall, better heavy than light.

In general I agree with that statement, but if you're overpitching by a factor of 2 (which is very possible depending on OG) then your wallet is better heavy than light :p

6.5 gallons of 1.048 OG ale only requires 12 grams of fresh dried yeast, so a single packet would probably be fine as long as you rehydrate.

I do love US-05 though, and I also love Notty. If you ferment it around 60 degrees it's very clean, and it floccs out much faster.

Just between us brewers, I'll take the yeast cake from one 6.5 gal carboy and split it up between 3 more 6.5 gallon carboys and I have no idea how much I'm pitching. All my APA's are about 6.5-7% abv

I use US-05 in all my IPA's and Pale Ales. There is no better neutral ale yeast for the price.

...oh, yeah, I will say, US-05 is good yeast. I've used it in all but one of my batches (a grand total of six at this point), and while some have certainly been much better than others, the only time I've had this yeast fail to do its work quickly and neutrally and then drop clear was my first batch, when I hadn't yet heard of temperature control.

I've got a double-dry-hopped Citra IPA done with US-05 ready to bottle this weekend, and the hydro samples have been delish!

Just between us brewers, I'll take the yeast cake from one 6.5 gal carboy and split it up between 3 more 6.5 gallon carboys and I have no idea how much I'm pitching. All my APA's are about 6.5-7% abv

So nice to hear somebody else admitting to such irresponsible, unpredictable behavior! I was afraid to tell anybody else that I did the same thing! :eek:

Sometimes we can get so specific and nit-picky here when we give advice that it tends to intimidate newcomers, when in reality, beer usually turns into beer even when everything isn't perfect. Maybe we should start a thread about the most "irresponsible" or inaccurate thing we've ever done and still had the beer turn out good! It might give a more realistic point of view on the whole process!

I have just started to use this over the past 3-4 batches and I am very happy.
I only have one question to add.... I have been getting FG readings of sub .010 (like 1.004, 1.006) with approx 6-7% ABV beer. Is this the general deal with this yeast?

Yup, I wash it, get about 4 mason jars, store it for a couple weeks and pitch one jar again. The other three get starters and go. Seems to be working fine.

I'm bottling my IPA this weekend. OG was 1.063 and I rehydrated 1 packet of US-05 and pitched that. Fermentation started that night somewhere between 5-10 hours after pitching. Checked gravity a week later and it was 1.016. Tasty.

Toss the whole packet and enjoy.

Yup, I wash it, get about 4 mason jars, store it for a couple weeks and pitch one jar again. The other three get starters and go. Seems to be working fine.

Same here, although I use my brew kettle to boil as many mason jars as possible (~8 jars). I just pitch without a starter (even the old ones) and still get great attenuation. US-05 is my go-to yeast and this method of washing has been working for some time now.

Back