Safale US-05 What's with this yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliec

Reaction score
My last two batches I have used this strain because the recipe called for it. These are both 5 gallon batches in a 6.5 gal. bucket W/sealed lids. About the third or fourth day this stuff blows through the airlock nothing violent or terribly messy. I've never seen this with the Danstar Notty or the Whit labs stuff.
Is it the norm for US-05?

I know, I know get a blow off tube instead of an air lock. Guaranteed!

I don't have enough experience with both to comment on whether it is typical or more typical than compared to notty, but I have started having more violent fermentations on the past few batches, and I think it is because my apartment ambient temperature has been going up with the warmer weather. I only use a swamp cooler with ice bottles swapped throughout the day, so the ambient temperature has a decent effect on it.

Happens to me as well. I think because US-05 is a pretty flocculant strain, it's good at clogging air lock necks...which then causes more to blow through...

I've noticed that when left to do as it pleases, US-05 and Wyeast 1056 (they're the same strain) love to produce violent, healthy fermentations :D If you'd like a bit less mess, I suggest trying to control the temp and push it down to around 60* or lower. I've had it ferment at 55* before, though it did take longer.

I've noticed with my last couple of batches of S-05 that it's a slow starter. The blond ale that I have fermenting right now had about 30 hours of lag. It always attenuates really well and I've never had any off flavors so I don't worry about it.

I use 05 a lot, I never have this problem. But, I always start my fermentations low, usually around 63-65F and and gradually bring them up to 68F-70F over the course of a day of two. I will admit that 67F seems to be the tipping point. Fermentation is slow and steady up to about 66F, but once you hit 67F, it really takes off. Also, once it hits 67F, the wort temp will typically rise up to 69F or 70F by itself.

I just noted blow thru number three for the day, while cleaning up I checked the wort temp. it was at 68F. I keep a fan blowing on the fermenter to try and control the temp. maybe I should wrap a wet towel around it as well and use it like a swamp cooler.
Thanks for all your observations guys, I'll add these notes to my brewing notes.

You've got very good fermentation happening from some fantastic yeast. There's really nothing to complain about, it's awesome. Enjoy the fact that you're using really great potent yeast.

Good to hear from you my friend, not complaining at all, just gathering info.
I'm rather happy that this strain works as hard as it does.:D
... and, it's only $4.95 for 11 grams.

US-05 is my "house" yeast. I always use a blow off tube no matter what but what you're describing sounds normal.

Great yeast! Clean tasting and very thorough with the attenuation. I'm almost always finishing below 1.010 regardless of the starting gravity. Fine for me, I like my beer a bit on the dry side.

But... If you like this yeast, consider buying in bulk. $4.95 is way to much to be paying for a packet. Even here in Southern Ontario, Canada, we can get it for $1-2 for a packet. I buy it in bulk giving me 500g for about $42 which is about $0.92 per 11g.

Something to think about if you can get it in bulk. :D

US 05 is a Rockstar.

Ferments like crazy. I like to keep the temp in the mid 60's for the first week. Nice clean flavor and always ferments down to where it should. My favorite yeast or IPA/APA brews.

US-05 is my "house" yeast. I always use a blow off tube no matter what but what you're describing sounds normal.

Great yeast! Clean tasting and very thorough with the attenuation. I'm almost always finishing below 1.010 regardless of the starting gravity.

Good to know using it now...will install my blow off tube instead of air lock!!!

Great yeast! Clean tasting and very thorough with the attenuation. I'm almost always finishing below 1.010 regardless of the starting gravity. Fine for me, I like my beer a bit on the dry side.

But... If you like this yeast, consider buying in bulk. $4.95 is way to much to be paying for a packet. Even here in Southern Ontario, Canada, we can get it for $1-2 for a packet. I buy it in bulk giving me 500g for about $42 which is about $0.92 per 11g.

Something to think about if you can get it in bulk. :D

If you can get this yeast for under 1 US dollar per 11.5g I would absolutely be interested in a group buy.

Are you sure about your numbers? It sounds too good to be true...

I just used this for my second batch ever. It started slow for me but was going crazy at 48 hours. My basement is at like 63/64 degrees. My shop has it for 3.50 and I find they are a tad high for most things. No shipping tho! Starting right off trying to save all my yeast. The more money I can save the more beer the accountant (wife) will let me brew.

Just pitched 2 packets from a cream onto a 1.079 og ipa 12 hours prior to this video

Temp is at 62

Last edited by a moderator:
lschiavo said:
Can you believe what us brewers find video worthy? ;)

Oh really boring video. But illustrated the activity of the yeast well. I was standing there when I read this thread and it was easy enough to take a quick video.

pcollins said:
I'm in Cambridge, Ontario and ordered from this guy:

http://www.beerandwinefilter.com/

He's in Mississaugua and I have a friend that I brew with who works in that city so he picks up all our orders from him.

$43.60 CAD for a 500g package.

How do you store it? I have been under the impression that an opened package needs to be used soon.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but can anyne tell me if US-05 can be successfully washed and used again? I have not tried washing a dry yeast before. There is no LHBS near me so trying to reuse this yeast would be kind of cool.

msa8967 said:
I don't mean to hijack this thread but can anyne tell me if US-05 can be successfully washed and used again? I have not tried washing a dry yeast before. There is no LHBS near me so trying to reuse this yeast would be kind of cool.

I don't even bother washing it. I just save some slurry and pitch the next batch. Has worked so far...

msa8967 said:

I am kind of a noob still so take it with a grain of salt but yeast is yeast at that point in the game. In other words it isn't dry anymore once you use it. I plan on washing mine.

Not to hi-jack this thread but has anyone had much success with washing US-05? I have not tried washing dry yeast and would like to give it a try if possible.

mick, a while back I washed some us-05. i never got around to using it, but it worked fine and the process is the exact same.

Yeah, washing is fine just follow the sticky step by step and it all goes well. I have re-used washed US-05 without even doing a starter and it's been fine. I have also re-pitched on the yeast cake with no washing and it takes off again like a rocket!

pcollins said:
Yeah, washing is fine just follow the sticky step by step and it all goes well. I have re-used washed US-05 without even doing a starter and it's been fine. I have also re-pitched on the yeast cake with no washing and it takes off again like a rocket!

How long have you waited - no starter? I am new to yeast washing. I am going to be afraid I killed it lol. A starter would give me a peace of mind. Also if you repitch on the yeast cake, can you leave it the bucket for say a week? Just thinking bottling and brewing in the same day might be a tall order. Or even the same weekend ya know.

How long have you waited - no starter? I am new to yeast washing. I am going to be afraid I killed it lol. A starter would give me a peace of mind. Also if you repitch on the yeast cake, can you leave it the bucket for say a week? Just thinking bottling and brewing in the same day might be a tall order. Or even the same weekend ya know.

I think you're fine after a week. I have waited that long but I once left it for two weeks and felt a bit leary so I just dumped it. Last time I did it I transferred to keg one day leaving the yeast cake and brewed the next day pitching on same.

The usual advice is to make sure that you go from lighter to darker beers or less hoppy to more hoppy or lower abv to higher abv when pitching on the yeast cake. There is the possibility of flavours carrying over from batch to the next (I've tasted it) but if you have extra flavour/alcohol/hoppiness to mask it you won't taste it.

Last batch I did was an IPA that I pitched on to a faux Pils yeast cake of US-05. No problems and I've tasted the hydrometer sample and am not tasting any off flavours. Should be fine.

As for no starter when I've used washed yeast. I've had the washed yeast in the fridge and just bring it out the morning of the brew day to bring it to pitching temp. I'll just shake it once in a while to keep it from settling too much and get some O2 into it and then pitch as is. Also, no problems.

pcollins said:
I think you're fine after a week. I have waited that long but I once left it for two weeks and felt a bit leary so I just dumped it. Last time I did it I transferred to keg one day leaving the yeast cake and brewed the next day pitching on same.

The usual advice is to make sure that you go from lighter to darker beers or less hoppy to more hoppy or lower abv to higher abv when pitching on the yeast cake. There is the possibility of flavours carrying over from batch to the next (I've tasted it) but if you have extra flavour/alcohol/hoppiness to mask it you won't taste it.

Last batch I did was an IPA that I pitched on to a faux Pils yeast cake of US-05. No problems and I've tasted the hydrometer sample and am not tasting any off flavours. Should be fine.

As for no starter when I've used washed yeast. I've had the washed yeast in the fridge and just bring it out the morning of the brew day to bring it to pitching temp. I'll just shake it once in a while to keep it from settling too much and get some O2 into it and then pitch as is. Also, no problems.

Good info thanks.

Looks like this thread is already deviating a little off-topic, but just thought I'd chime in: After having my 5th batch push through the airlock like three times (I kept thinking it was done kraeusening!) I have determined that I just can't freakin' tell which batches are going to need a blowoff hose and which aren't. Since it doesn't hurt a damn thing to use one, I've instituted a policy of always using one for the first few days regardless of gravity, yeast, headspace, etc. Even in my first half-dozen batches, I've had ones that I was certain would blowoff not, and ones that I was certain wouldn't go shooting out through the airlock. Yeast are capricious little pranksters, better not to second guess them.

This yeast is insane!!! Primary is churning away like crazy on Day 4. I too used a blow off tube thank goodness!!! There are signs that she is starting to slow down a bit. Hope it's ready for the keg by June 2nd.

Latest posts

Back