Saf Ale -04 - Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gsusbrew

Reaction score
My local home brew store was closed and all I had on hand was a package of Saf ale 04. I used it for the Cream of 3 crops recipe .

Any idea what i should expect?
Fermenting away after 12 hours at 65 F.

Ive used it in the past and had some fruit flavours but I am not sure if it was the yeast or something else. Not looking for anything fruity in this cream ale.

Looking for your thoughts.

I always get some esters with 04. I recently made a super simple SMaSH pale ale with 04 that I was really just making to have another beer ready for a party. I pushed the yeast a little too much trying to get it done quickly and had a fair bit of fruity esters.

That being said, if you can keep fermentation temps down you should get a somewhat clean finished product. Just be vigilant about temps because this yeast likes to ferment fast and hot.

if you keep it low (16 Celsius), the fruitiness will not be high (but higher than US-05) but could be pleasant in a cream ale.
FG will be slightly higher

Latest posts

Back