S04 Yeast slow??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jslive4now

Reaction score
Question about S04... Currently have a Nut Brown in the fermenter.. Today is 2 weeks.. OG was 1.046.. Never used this yeast before.. Is it a slow fermenting yeast??? Temps have been between 66-68.. Still getting bubble action about every 40 seconds or so.. Normal??

Thank you

John

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

I've only used it once but it was very fast. Have you checked SG? Weather changes or temp changes can cause off gassing. I'd bet it's done but there's only one way to tell.

That yeast is very fast. It was probably finished in 3 days, and clear in 5. Is it in a carboy? If you can see it, I bet it's super clear by now.

If for some reason it stalled, it would still be cloudy but that would be very rare with S04, especially over 65 degrees.

I've only used it once but it was very fast. Have you checked SG? Weather changes or temp changes can cause off gassing. I'd bet it's done but there's only one way to tell.

That yeast is very fast. It was probably finished in 3 days, and clear in 5. Is it in a carboy? If you can see it, I bet it's super clear by now.

If for some reason it stalled, it would still be cloudy but that would be very rare with S04, especially over 65 degrees.

I haven't check the SG as of yet.. I fermented in a bucket so I will check the SG tonight... I doubt it stalled cause it started within 6-8 hours and was going good... I'm sure your right and its probably degassing...

I appreciate the replys!!! :)

Ok I checked the SG.. OG was at 1.046, Target was 1.052 and this was an Extract Kit with steeping grains.. Today is 2 weeks in the fermenter and the SG is 1.015.. Both the gravities were adjusted for temp.. So I'm sitting at 4.1%... Kinda low?? An Attenuation of only 66/67%... S04 yeast and beer is clear as can be!!!

What if anything did I do wrong?? Or is this just the nature of the beast??

I was just told US-04 is quick at the start but takes a long time to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok I checked the SG.. OG was at 1.046, Target was 1.052 and this was an Extract Kit with steeping grains.. Today is 2 weeks in the fermenter and the SG is 1.015.. Both the gravities were adjusted for temp.. So I'm sitting at 4.1%... Kinda low?? An Attenuation of only 66/67%... S04 yeast and beer is clear as can be!!!

What if anything did I do wrong?? Or is this just the nature of the beast??

First, if it was an extract kit with steeping grains, you likely did not miss your original gravity by 6 points. If you add the right amount of extract to the right amount of water, you will get the right original gravity. It is sometimes kind of tricky to get an accurate OG reading for extract batches, especially if you are adding top off water, because you don't always get a perfectly mixed sample. This is a common situation for extract brewers; when you make an extract beer, it is probably safer to skip the OG reading, assume that your OG was what the kit said it was, and then use your hydrometer for a final gravity reading.

Second, subtracting your final gravity from your original gravity does not give you your ABV. There are a number of formulas to calculate ABV from OG and SG- or you can just use a calculator like the one at Brewer's Friend. According to that, your ABV (assuming an OG of 1.052) is 4.86%, and your attenuation is closer to 70%. I don't know how that compares to what the kit said it would be, but it's better than 4.1%. If that is still low, it might be due to any number of factors- viability of yeast (maybe it was out of the fridge for a while in shipping), age of the extract, your ability to aerate the wort, the built-in fermentability of the extract, and probably a bunch of other factors.

It sounds like everything went perfect. S04 works fast and clears well. I love it for British beers. I agree that you don't need OG for extract.
Final Gravity of 0.015 sounds good. Not a highly attenuative yeast but still very tasty.
Let use know how it tastes!
ps. It's nice to have 4% beers because it's easier to drink without being compromised.

Back